NFSAddons Forums

Mar 28, 2024, 3:09 PM

Submit Screen Shots for Older Mods

This is a discussion for the topic Submit Screen Shots for Older Mods on the board Site Suggestions/Feedback.

Author Topic: Submit Screen Shots for Older Mods  (Read 9002 times)

9 Replies on Submit Screen Shots for Older Mods
on: Nov 08, 2022, 6:25 PM
Rookie Member

Browsing through some of the older cars for NFS 3&4 I'm noticing some of the submissions are a little lacking in legible images. They're either super small or jpeg compressed several times over (or both). It'd be great if the community could submit newer screen shots to existing content. I'm currently combing through these sections anyway and I'd be happy to contribute.

Reply #1
on: Nov 09, 2022, 9:25 AM
Administrator Hero Member

Browsing through some of the older cars for NFS 3&4 I'm noticing some of the submissions are a little lacking in legible images. They're either super small or jpeg compressed several times over (or both). It'd be great if the community could submit newer screen shots to existing content. I'm currently combing through these sections anyway and I'd be happy to contribute.
That's something I have about 95% completed. I will work on finishing that up!

Reply #2
on: Nov 09, 2022, 6:12 PM

I hope you won't delete the original images Mike, they're unique and iconic and i think it's no problem to zoom into a small picture lol

Reply #3
on: Nov 09, 2022, 6:59 PM

I hope you won't delete the original images Mike, they're unique and iconic and i think it's no problem to zoom into a small picture lol
Nope, it would be in addition to the existing ones

Reply #4
on: Nov 10, 2022, 7:02 AM
Rookie Member

Ah, great glad to see this was already in the works!

I'd also point out that my suggestion was for additional pictures as well not the removal of existing ones. Higher resolution options being the main focus. The images being small is only really part of the problem (as I see it). So you have a lot of images that are low resolution, plus they are very compressed (bad artifacts, color is off, etc). On top of that, the models are showcased in various levels of quality often on underpowered machines from the era. Then some still have various levels of paintbrush skills applied to the previews. By the time it's all said and done it's like I'm trying to read something while wearing another person's prescription glasses. Bit of a struggle.

They're a product of their time, I get it, I was right there too... but also, it is a bit annoying to have to download something just to see whether or not it's worth downloading.

So it's not so much the images are "small" (and again some are better/worse than others). It's that regardless of what the zoom function does for them, they're just not very useful for making a value judgment.

I suggested the ability for the community at large to submit shots because there is a large database of files here. I'm sure adding new previews must be a large undertaking. So thanks for that I'm sure it'll be appreciated.

Reply #5
on: Nov 10, 2022, 5:35 PM

But... haven't we been able to submit additional screenshots for years now, or am I misunderstanding? Like what I did here for example, to expand on the (admittedly small) 640x480 screen I uploaded originally? http://nfsa.ca/c50
I went through my archive a while ago and added some bigger preview screens to several more of these older files, (and yeah, they're still not that big at 1024 since they were also taken some 20 years ago)

Of course, if this is a call to community members to share their best quality preview images, I say: Be my guest. :)
« Last Edit: Nov 10, 2022, 5:42 PM by Remko »

Reply #6
on: Nov 10, 2022, 11:48 PM

But... haven't we been able to submit additional screenshots for years now, or am I misunderstanding? Like what I did here for example, to expand on the (admittedly small) 640x480 screen I uploaded originally? http://nfsa.ca/c50
I went through my archive a while ago and added some bigger preview screens to several more of these older files, (and yeah, they're still not that big at 1024 since they were also taken some 20 years ago)

Of course, if this is a call to community members to share their best quality preview images, I say: Be my guest. :)
Admins have been able to, but since the redesign a few years ago, that was limited to only admins. It's been in my plans to re-open it for any registered user, but was near the back of my list. Now that it's been requested, it has moved to the front and I'm hoping to open that for everyone tomorrow :)

Reply #7
on: Nov 11, 2022, 3:41 PM

This is ready to go as a beta feature!

You will see a new Add button on the top right of the car details screen (the add screen feature for tracks, files and other addons is still coming soon):

As usual, images will need to be approved by a mod, but that happens pretty quick these days

Let me know if you have any issues using it

Reply #8
on: Nov 11, 2022, 8:54 PM
Rookie Member

Awesome! Just did a few for NFSF1McLaren's F1 GTR. The feature seemed to work from this end.

Super cool, man. Thank you.

Reply #9
on: Nov 11, 2022, 10:16 PM

Awesome! Just did a few for NFSF1McLaren's F1 GTR. The feature seemed to work from this end.

Super cool, man. Thank you.
Thanks, approved and they look good!

Support NFSAddons: