NFSAddons Forums

Mar 28, 2024, 12:34 PM

'75/76 Fury continued: Sheriff Rosco's car

This is a discussion for the topic '75/76 Fury continued: Sheriff Rosco's car on the board Editing Projects.

Author Topic: '75/76 Fury continued: Sheriff Rosco's car  (Read 17320 times)

31 Replies on '75/76 Fury continued: Sheriff Rosco's car
on: May 02, 2017, 8:10 AM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
First sketch of Rosco's car based on the new Plymouth, just the door decals done so far .. :police:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 8:17 AM by FranknFurter »

Reply #1
on: May 03, 2017, 5:19 AM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
question folks ... current (and almost final) state of Rosco's Fury ..

I mapped Sheriff Rosco's face (the grimmest usable one I could find so far =D) now to the driver's head, but I'm not quite sure wether it should be provided with or without sunglasses, plz. compare first two pics (admittedly I haven't found any pics of him wearing sunglasses, did he ever wear some?) :o since it is a rather small texture area his face doesn't look very 'defined' .. ::)

Maybe if I enhance his eyebrows yet a bit in the way I already did his teeth it might look better w/o sunglasses ..?
I'm 'not very good' at cosmetics erhm .. so I might have to ask my GF about it but I'm afraid she will probably try to make a 'beauty queen' of him in the end (and yet even tweeze his eyebrows) .. poor guy :-\

I'm aware that the real car didn't have a trunk 'Sheriff' sticker but I added it since most fleet cars have that for recognition, hope it is ok for you .. ??? (.. if you don't like it it is easy to remove since it is a layered object of two polies only ;))
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 8:10 AM by FranknFurter »

Reply #2
on: May 03, 2017, 10:09 AM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
.. should be o.k. like that? 8)

Reply #3
on: May 03, 2017, 2:30 PM

.. should be o.k. like that? 8)

Nice, Don't forget though on the Rosco lightbar it also has 2 rear yellow flashers, Alternatly there is also versions that have small spotlights built into the side caps. As for Rosco's face, I could send you what I been using if you'd like, Mine looks great all but the nose.
NFS HighStakes is the best

Reply #4
on: May 03, 2017, 4:43 PM

Sharp ride. :cool: I remember that the earlier patrol cars got the Sheriff sticker in the middle of the trunk, but these didn't had it on fenders for change. On the other hand I saw one replica patrol car that had the sheriff on the trunklid like this, and also one extra Hazzard County sticker occupying the other half, so it won't feel lonely. But that was bit excessive, I have to say. ;)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 4:51 PM by Dark One »

Reply #5
on: May 03, 2017, 8:05 PM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
thx guys, did the best I could although I must admit that I've never seen the original TV show so I cannot really tell which of the many cars and backup vehicles used might be 'the one and only' possible version, let alone of the many different cruisers they used anyways during the years .. :-[

http://hazzardnet.com/forums/topic/5006-the-patrol-cars-in-pictures/

The Hazzard boys' Gen'l Lee and Rosco's cruiser are seemingly the most copied and replicated TV show/movie cars ever after the Bluesmobile and Bandit's '77 Pontiac perhaps =D

It appears to me that the choice of that simple and plain white 'Hazzard County' scheme allowed the use of a great variety of different base cars so only the experts might be able to tell the backups from the 'closeups' or steady cars, on most screenshots I haven't seen any orange flashers or alley lights .. :-\

Btw even if I render the orange flashers again they will be inactive anyway since the car lighting needs 10 dummies (because of the four taillights of the '75 Fury) so only six dummies are left for the lightbar but np for me I will do it if you like it better ^-^

Still enough time to agree on a certain 'unified' scheme or lightbar shape since I haven't uploaded yet =D

48" or 52" lightbar w/ or w/o one or two orange rear flashers, alley lights, chrome/veneer trim or not ... :o

Most 'common' recognition of the Hazzard cruiser I found is this of the '77 Fury variant:

from: http://hazzardnet.com/forums/topic/4733-roscos-patrol-car/

Quite a good source for some graphic arts, pity I haven't found it earlier .. :P

Some other cruisers from different departments of many used in the TV show, see also above link ..

link of another '76 Replica:
http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/plymouth/288006-1976-plymouth-fury-sheriff-rosco-coltrane-dukes-of-hazzard-tribute-police-car.html

The '76 didn't seem to have orange rear flashers as I saw on most pics, only the later '77 ..
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 9:32 PM by FranknFurter »

Reply #6
on: May 04, 2017, 1:48 AM

That site is quite useful when you are trying to make Hazzard county patrol car. And lot of the minor patrol cars could also be replicated easily thanks to their renders. =D

Also, from what I have noticed while watching various clips from the show, these earlier Plymouth Fury patrol cars did got the sheriff sticker on the trunk, but also just on the front fenders. And the amber flasher(s) really varied from scene to scene, I would stick with just one on the driver's side, personally. ;)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 3:29 AM by Dark One »

Reply #7
on: May 04, 2017, 8:08 AM

I can help with this, I have all the episodes :). For the 1974 Dodge Monaco they had the yellow flashers clumped together on the left side [][] Like that.

Then when they started using AMC Matadors later in the series they had the standard set up like []                           [] and that was what they stuck to til the series end, As for the small spotlights on the side caps, that varied episode to episode and scene to scene but by the time they'd switched to AMC Matador and Plymouth Fury all cars had the standard lightbar setup with 2 yellow flashers to the rear. The pics you're finding Frank are restored replica cars, What was even more strange though was the cars James Best himself owned, He had the 1976 Plymouth Fury and 1978 Monaco he kept after the show ended and he drove the 1978 Monaco to Greenville when I met him that time, Lightbar setup on it was totally diffrent from the show and didn't have the rear yellow flashers at all (maybe he couldn't get them? )

it has red/blue with white segments toward the siren. I didn't get to see his personal 1976 Plymouth Fury that day but I had seen a pic when he drove it to Marion at a ballgame and it had red/blue with a white segment on the red and the rest was solid colors, The white part was only on the left on that car and only toward the far end of the front. His plates on the 1978 Monaco read: 4 Rosco I don't know what number was on his 1976 Plymouth though. Maybe 3 Rosco  ::) :P.

Most of the scenes (though not all) Have the car eqquiped with small side spotlights on the side caps (I believe these are called Takedowns?)

Reply #8
on: May 04, 2017, 11:40 AM

• Personal Text
    I keep trying so far... Hmm 😶‍🌫️ ☮️ 😎
 Nice Story PauLSpain   :D  8)
Let's have a better day...?

Reply #9
on: May 04, 2017, 4:29 PM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
I agree with Dark One, I looked through some videos again and noticed the single driver sided orange rear flasher on most of the cars, so that's what I would have suggested, too :D

Nevertheless I added round alley lights (which are only seen on the plain red/blue lightbars so far) to the lightbar edges (with interior spots of course), for those who want to choose I will provide different textures, two outer orange sectors, one with only on driver side and w/o it but white alley lights, that ok ...?

You might want to decide yourself if you want to alter the two outer siren dummies to orange ones, this can even be done in NFSWizard by just changing one letter each ..

.. pics show the driver sided single orange sector and the new alley lights (tested it also with an interior ODL for that but does it make sense to you?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 4:36 PM by FranknFurter »

Reply #10
on: May 05, 2017, 3:04 AM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
Ok .. thanks to my outrageous genius (cough, cough .. =D) I found a way now to manage the different lightbar setups (respecting the two different transparency levels for the alley lights cutouts surrounded by less transparent coverage) using only one mesh (by altering the outer one or two dummies to orange if desired) but with just different texture files ..

The standard setup (if you agree so far ... ::)) will be the plain red/blue with white alley lights since this is the most common setup concerning the 1976 Fury, alternative textures will be:

1) one single orange flasher on driver side w/o alley lights ('Cali Setup', will add mesh for that)

2) two orange flashers w/o alley lights (considered as the common '77/78 setup)

3) two orange flashers with additional alley lights for 'the lighting freaks ..' =D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 3:38 AM by FranknFurter »

Reply #11
on: May 05, 2017, 5:38 AM

Reply #12
on: May 05, 2017, 8:15 AM

Fun fact for you all, This lightbar was invented in 1976, So by putting it on the 1976 Plymouth Fury they are for once being historically accurate during the show unlike when they had it mounted onto 1974 Dodge Monacos, Though it looked great up there it wasn't out yet then, For accuracy they should have used TwinSonic or twin gumballs on a bar.

Reply #13
on: May 05, 2017, 11:09 AM

Well, these '75 Monacos and '75 Gran Furys were already four years old when the show was being made, so the Aerodynic did make sense, and when some scenes took place in the past, the patrol cars actually have the Visibar there. And while the (in)famous 1970 Polara from the first episode was more or less a blooper, because it magically swapped place with both the Monacos mid-pursuit, for example the '75 Fury of Sheriff Little was already six years old by the time it appeared, and the '75 Coronets from Choctaw and Sweetwater actually did have the Twinsonic.

Reply #14
on: May 05, 2017, 11:24 PM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
Wasn't aware that I stirred up a hornet's nest here -LOL

The reason why I'm offering all these variants to you is that now everyone can easily use the lightbar and/or the base car for his own projects, simply choose the matching variant and alter it for your purposes if needed ^-^ (thus uttering a certain hope that it's not me who will have to do all the other Police departments' variants seen in the show .. =D)

For example the alley lights can simply be 'hidden' by just moving the cut-out area on the texture by one pixel's width (there we go again .. -LOL) and altering the upper white area (which are the clear alley light covers when visible) to half red/blue

.. just compare the different textures later and you will know what I mean .. ;))

Now to the variants ... let me add this first: I didn't place the siren dummys at their 'proper' positions but a little wider apart and more to the outside so the outer ones might safely be altered to orange, additionally the individual timings are far enough 'apart' (delayed by '3' at '6er' timing) to avoid a certain 'dislimned' impression ..

As said, here are some pics of the different variants:

1) red/blue w/ alley lights ('basic_plus'), the standard setup the car will come with ..

2) red/blue w/o alley lights ('plain_basic')

3) red/blue w/o alley lights and one orange sector on driver side, the 'Cali setup' ('single_orange')

4) red/blue w/o alley lights and two orange sectors, the later '77/78 setup ('double_orange')

5) red/blue w/ alley lights plus two orange sectors .. 'for the freaks' =D ('double_orange_plus')

.. 3) to 5) might be altered to outer orange dummy(s), but this is optional and up to your own gusto ;)

btw .. Paul, according to this scheme the private owned car by James Best can also be done (well aware that you cannot resist on that, eh?) if you alter the inner sections to grey/white (= clear), have a look at next posting ;)

« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 12:49 AM by FranknFurter »

Support NFSAddons: