NFSAddons Forums

Mar 28, 2024, 1:59 PM

Upgrades in singleplayer.

This is a discussion for the topic Upgrades in singleplayer. on the board General NFS.

Author Topic: Upgrades in singleplayer.  (Read 6315 times)

13 Replies on Upgrades in singleplayer.
on: Feb 16, 2017, 11:16 AM

Hi,

Since there is a ''modern patch'' and some HEX editing (ghost files), has anybody ever tried to crack the career mode?

When I like the upgrades of a car, I seperate them and make it stand alone cars.

I would love see an upgrade possibility for multitexture policecars in singleplayer or pursuitmode.

I never play careermode anymore but it had such nice features like damagerepair and upgrades.

Any thoughts?

Reply #1
on: Feb 16, 2017, 11:22 AM

only one VEGman can do it, but he said that he wont change/add anything that wasnt in original game or so, so...

Reply #2
on: Feb 16, 2017, 3:48 PM

• Personal Text
    Dark Paladin
It might not be difficult to do, but what I really wanted was the inverse, tuning menu in career mode, but could never figure out how to make it happen.

Reply #3
on: Feb 17, 2017, 4:32 AM

The possibility to choose from the 3 different upgrade levels in a singleplayer race/pursuit would be awesome. But i guess its not that easy...

Most obvious approach would be by manipulating the menu files. However, my tries with editing the car-menu failed miserably (does not mean anything tho, since im not really into this stuff).

Other way is to manipulate the ghost files. Zalcus already implemented an option for choosing the upgrade-level in his Ghost-Editor. Unfortunately its not working stable and seems to bug out at the current state, making the .gst file corrupt.

Reply #4
on: Feb 17, 2017, 5:32 AM

• Personal Text
    Dark Paladin
It's easy to make the opponents use upgraded cars, but I don't think it's that easy for the player to be able to do so. The car you run against a ghost is your own, and you can't upgrade cars outside of career.

Reply #5
on: Feb 17, 2017, 6:53 AM

Well, but the race that is loading up in career mode is a normal singleplayer/knockout round in the end, isn't it? So i assume it is possible to have a setup with an upgraded player car in non-career races.

Reply #6
on: Feb 17, 2017, 10:20 AM

• Personal Text
    Dark Paladin
Hmmm, now I see how it works! It should technically be possible, then.

Reply #7
on: Feb 17, 2017, 11:21 AM

I tried so many things in the data/menu files, but I think I got stuck with code links.Mostly got black screens when loading the game.

Once had a upgraded car in singleplayer car1.mnu, by changing:

[obj3d]

codelink=CAR_SELECT_OBJ3DP?
objecttype=?

Wish I saved those settings.It is possible I saw it.It's all about numbers I'm afraid.

I have no knowledge, it's all trial & error.

Reply #8
on: Feb 17, 2017, 3:01 PM

@noise: i played around with the section [obj3d] you mentioned. Setting objecttype from "objecttype=1" to "objecttype=11" will display upgrade level 3 (if the car has the according files).
Other values will only show the non-upgraded car, car with fixed color (only color#1, color change has no effect) or crash the game.

Also i managed to get a dropdown-list working where you can choose the upgrade level (see Picture).

Unfortunately its not functional...
So the problem is that all the above has no effect on the actual race. The car won't have upgrades :(

Anyways, I attached the car1.mnu file, maybe someone want to take a look at it.

Reply #9
on: Feb 17, 2017, 6:00 PM

• Personal Text
    I keep trying so far... Hmm 😶‍🌫️ ☮️ 😎
Wow, great try 's on this, to Madman I hope you may narrow, this down, more to things that may ever work? I hear you there... guesswork to seems? Tuff too, C'ya  =D.
Let's have a better day...?

Reply #10
on: Feb 18, 2017, 10:20 AM

That's what I mean Madman, glad you found that out too.But first you need to buy the car in career mode don't you?

I remember I added a button in the car1.mnu that says:

nextmenu=Cr_garag  (so you can quickly switch between singleplayer and career)

In Cr_garag.mnu I created a button to go to car1.mnu.

And using objecttype=11

When you purchase a car in career mode, and upgrade it to whatever level, you also have this car visible in singleplayer.

But like you said in ''race'' the car has no upgrades.

The reason you can't change color is because you bought the car in a specific color.In career you can't change color either.

Funny thing is when you select another upgradeble car in singleplayer you also get the upgraded version ???.
You need to go to another menu, and than go back to player car menu to see the car displayed.That's the problem with objecttype=11.

Reply #11
on: Feb 18, 2017, 10:33 AM

• Personal Text
    Dark Paladin
That's what I mean Madman, glad you found that out too.But first you need to buy the car in career mode don't you?

I remember I added a button in the car1.mnu that says:

nextmenu=Cr_garag  (so you can quickly switch between singleplayer and career)

In Cr_garag.mnu I created a button to go to car1.mnu.

And using objecttype=11

When you purchase a car in career mode, and upgrade it to whatever level, you also have this car visible in singleplayer.

But like you said in ''race'' the car has no upgrades.

The reason you can't change color is because you bought the car in a specific color.In career you can't change color either.

Funny thing is when you select another upgradeble car in singleplayer you also get the upgraded version ???.
You need to go to another menu, and than go back to player car menu to see the car displayed.That's the problem with objecttype=11.

It's because the object type is car-agnostic so it'll always look for upgraded car regardless of which car it is.

What would've been really neat would be CAR1ENG.BNK, CAR2ENG.BNK, and so on, to replace sounds of upgraded cars. It was not beyond their capabilities, but they chose not to do it. Same with dash upgrades.

Still, what you guys are doing is making the game show a different model in the menu. Getting the game to load it in the race is a whole different thing. It may be impossible without editing the executable, but I suspect it wouldn't be as difficult as some other things like changing folder of traffic cars, increasing number of available serial numbers, etc. It's possible to affect the car mesh in the menu and have the effect translated into the race, via the Convertible option, but the game was programmed to expect such change, and there may be numerous instances of it in the code because of the weather.

There are many things that may have been cut from the game engine. The nomenclature of CAR00.TGA is no accident, there were rumors that it may have originally been possible to assign more than one texture to each car. Would make modding incredibly convenient because 256x256 maps are no joke for a game of that era if the maps are used for car parts rather than whole body. But NFS3 (which, to my knowledge, is where it first appeared) came out at a time the bulk of the video cards could barely cut 16MB of video RAM, so the single texture system was easier to implement. This would require further modification of the graphics engine, which is not the goal of VEG's project.

It would be easier with the source code but, judging from VEG's reports, it seems even NFS3 is many steps above something such as Doom or even Quake in terms of complexity. EA isn't interested in releasing it, not viable commercially (they don't even sell the game anymore) and even without Modern Patch you can play it on different OSes, so there's no need to port it.
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2017, 10:42 AM by Zpectre »

Reply #12
on: Feb 18, 2017, 1:45 PM

[...]
Still, what you guys are doing is making the game show a different model in the menu. Getting the game to load it in the race is a whole different thing. It may be impossible without editing the executable...

I guess you're right Zpectre. All that can be done with the .mnu files is to call specific functions from the game executable. And it seems that career and singleplayer have its own seperate functions that won't work in the respective other mode.
We can edit the menu to display new buttons/text, make new links and load other 3D models but there are no real "settings" made.

Not even sure the ghostfiles will work properly with upgraded cars. I created one by copying the "header" from the config.dat (like with 2-player ghost-files) - the car has upgrades in the race but after finish you will not get the normal race-result screen, but the circuit-menu from career mode instead (+ a weird glitch with career progression).

So it looks like career races are NOT handled the same as singleplayer races, unlike i assumed in one of my previous posts.

A lot of stuff is hardcoded to the executable obviously. Like Zpectre, i now think that car-upgrades in singleplayer are not possible without editing the games executable.  :(

Reply #13
on: Feb 18, 2017, 1:56 PM

• Personal Text
    Dark Paladin
I guess you're right Zpectre. All that can be done with the .mnu files is to call specific functions from the game executable. And it seems that career and singleplayer have its own seperate functions that won't work in the respective other mode.
We can edit the menu to display new buttons/text, make new links and load other 3D models but there are no real "settings" made.

Not even sure the ghostfiles will work properly with upgraded cars. I created one by copying the "header" from the config.dat (like with 2-player ghost-files) - the car has upgrades in the race but after finish you will not get the normal race-result screen, but the circuit-menu from career mode instead (+ a weird glitch with career progression).

So it looks like career races are NOT handled the same as singleplayer races, unlike i assumed in one of my previous posts.

A lot of stuff is hardcoded to the executable obviously. Like Zpectre, i now think that car-upgrades in singleplayer are not possible without editing the games executable.  :(

Yes MADMAN, I agree. I don't know much about the career mode but I believe there should be a save file for it. It's likely that the game would read from such a file when loading career races. Owned cars in career mode have their own identity, although this amounts to little other than individual color, damage sustained and upgrade state.

Support NFSAddons: