NFSAddons Forums

Mar 28, 2024, 6:00 AM

[RD2CARBON EP2]NFS4 HS Discussion\Suggestion

This is a discussion for the topic [RD2CARBON EP2]NFS4 HS Discussion\Suggestion on the board General NFS.

Author Topic: [RD2CARBON EP2]NFS4 HS Discussion\Suggestion  (Read 14857 times)

27 Replies on [RD2CARBON EP2]NFS4 HS Discussion\Suggestion
on: Dec 31, 2016, 2:40 PM
Rookie Member

Hey guys,

First of all, I want to thank everyone who watched and supported my first video on NFS3 HP.
(In case you missed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j42AiRpuB5I

I never expect the video nor the series to be a huge hit or anything. I just want to do something I have planned to do for a very long time. Im glad I made my first step and you guys support means everything. It's niche topic as it goes super in-depth and specific. I dont expect everyone to like it. Besides, there's my poor English and annoying voice lol.

Anyway, the prepration for 2nd episode has begun after I successfully intalled and ran NFS4 High Stakes. Special thanks to HungryManticore_88 who suggested JimDiabolo's NFS HS Stock/Expansion pack which made the game running perfectly on win8.1. I will put everything you need to run NFS4 HS in comment section.

Although I call myself NFS veteran player, it's obvious I have very limited knowledge to the series and to each game especially when considering I was playing games like NFS4 when I was about 12 years old. I was stupid back then and didnt understand >60% of the english of the game. It's also obvious that I missed to mention some details and features in my first video about NFS3 HP. To aviod that, make my future videos better, and improve my production efficiency, I realized asking your guys help is indispensable.

So please feel free to comment if you have any:

1. features/mechanics
    2. quirks/interesting aspects/ester eggs
    3. suggestion to my video(production point of view)
    4. etc
    5. my horrible english/voice

Be sure to address them as detailed as possible. I will let you know if I decided to include your suggestion and will surely mention your name in the video!

Super execited for the upcoming video. Happy New Year!

Reply #1
on: Dec 31, 2016, 2:43 PM
Rookie Member

In case you dont know how to get NFS4 HS running on your computer (which is almost impossible here in our forum but u never know so,)

NFS4 HS download:

Full game: http://www.oldpcgaming.net/need-for-speed-high-stakes-review/ (note: you will need Daemon Tools to run the CD image in order to install the game)

To get the game running on newer Windows:

JimDiabolo's Stock\Expansion pack: http://www.freak-ds.de/dl-tools.php (choose latest version, if link expired, go to the 2nd latested version)

Intalling guide by JimD:
http://www.hsscoring.com/HSGuide/#_Toc161670424
His original thread: http://www.nfsaddons.com/forums//index.php?topic=1577.0

Let me know if you have any questions

Reply #2
on: Dec 31, 2016, 3:55 PM

• Personal Text
    I keep trying so far... Hmm 😶‍🌫️ ☮️ 😎
We already Know... how Great NFS'3 Was an is & NFS`4 HS Is.. many years now. So I never said I Watched your Video...
But I liked, it but not all the Talking,  like your Starting..? .. Hype about What..?
Just make a HS Track dude.. not a Video.  ^-^
« Last Edit: Dec 31, 2016, 7:31 PM by _WiLL_ »
Let's have a better day...?

Reply #3
on: Jan 01, 2017, 11:29 AM
Rookie Member

We already Know... how Great NFS'3 Was an is & NFS`4 HS Is.. many years now. So I never said I Watched your Video...
But I liked, it but not all the Talking,  like your Starting..? .. Hype about What..?
Just make a HS Track dude.. not a Video.  ^-^

Thanks Will.

Make a track? Hmmm, i doubt i have the ability to do track moddling tho.  :o :-[

Reply #4
on: Jan 01, 2017, 5:03 PM

In case you dont know how to get NFS4 HS running on your computer (which is almost impossible here in our forum but u never know so,)

NFS4 HS download:

Full game: http://www.oldpcgaming.net/need-for-speed-high-stakes-review/ (note: you will need Daemon Tools to run the CD image in order to install the game)

JimDiabolo's Stock\Expansion pack: http://www.freak-ds.de/dl-tools.php (choose latest version, if link expired, go to the 2nd latested version)

Intalling guide by JimD:

Hello,
using JimD's stock pack is probably the easiest and most comfortable way of installing NFS4, since you don't need to fiddle with settings in text/ini-files.
Nice idea making those videos. Maybe it will attract attention of a few pep's that find your channel :)
Though, for the gameplay videos you should really check that you have your graphics set up correctly. Because your NFS3 video shows really poor visuals since your game is running in some kind of software mode.
At the time these NFS titles were released they had pretty advanced graphics, given that you had the bucks for a high-end rig (NFS4 was one of the first (maybe even the first) racing game featuring car interiors with driver movements from exterior view). Today ofc you can easily showcase these games with highest graphic settings.
You should do so. Run the 3D setup and choose Glide (should be available with Jim's pack)
Important to mention that NFS 2-5 were designed for using 3dfx Glide API, DirectX was only supported subsidiary by default. Especially NFS2 and NFS3 had some effects (like fog) that only showed up when using a 3dfx Voodoo card.

For interesting aspects/ester eggs:
- High Stakes introduced damage and a career mode to the series, as well as 3D cockpit views
- unlike the PSX version there is no local police chatter on the PC version, but in the english PC version of NFS4 the police has different accents depending on the location
- some localisations have unique cars (e.g. japanese Over Drivin IV has a Nissan Skyline on top of the default cars)
- the PC version is missing 3 music titles compared to playstation version (namely Bring That Beat Back & Electro Optik by ROM and Globular Cluster by Saki Kaskas)
- High Stakes has all NFS3 tracks by default, because of that rumors said it was intended to be NFS3 SE
- on all tracks there are various interesting spots with actions taking place or special sounds played; i wouldnt consider all of them easter eggs, but mentioning these that might be interesting
   - Snowy Ridge track: frozen person in the Snowplow at the sand-depot
   - Landstrasse track: right at the start, park your car infront of one of the building entrances; at one of them a door bell will start ringing
   - Just set the windows date to 31/12 and play at night. Happy New year, every track will have fireworks now.
- using the function keys you can enable/disable music, sound effects, engine or show/hide the HUD and even the pause menu; pressing Alt+P puts screenshot to your desktop in .tga format (not working with new OS)
- If you enter the credits-menu change the display from "text" to "pictures" and click the appearing photos. A mini game called "CLICK THE PHOTO" will start

There is probably more stuff, also you already know some of the mentioned things most likely.
Of course not everything can be used in a video like you plan, but im sure some members here can add some more things that i haven't mentioned.

Greetings

Reply #5
on: Jan 01, 2017, 6:50 PM

• Personal Text
 Hi there GameKar01 um, I wants to tell, you I didn't mean be, So Grumpy, last night.. but I was. Nice topic you Created, cause like Madman an other more Knowledgeable, guys,here have more Experience, like I just Learned from, MadMans, post.  Well , I have to tell you, it took me a very like, long time.., to Understand, the Whole picture, Concept, Polygons,  of Editing, T3ED, Tracks, (I hate admitting, I always was a slow learning) So, it's not as hard, as you think? What bothers, me most, to is things, that I haven't Learned, making Tracks,so far,I wished the more Experienced, guys, that are still around, here would Unleash there Skills,to me, but they Haven't yet : ( maybe there isn't any? So there GameKar01 : )  I made a Video before, I did more those kinds, of things few years back, but it takes much pc, power I think to make them, an HDD space,.I don't have now days. Or even isp-' on my Pc. Sure do miss it tho, i wanted tell MadMan his post was real Cool an Wow, I never knew, about this photo click, Mini Game :D an such wonder how you play that, maybe takes me few weeks too learn it? ;))

Nope, oh i Remember, back in say 2000 I was hitting this Alt-P, on my Windows 98 an man, I sure had a bad, Mess of TGA-' Files, on my Desktop! Was Insane) ) man took a week to get all off there!! OMG... :))) I'm sure glad them, days are long Over, saying that huh, But I have Found a great Tool Called 'FRAPS, came out in 2007, it makes Screen shots, of the game from inside,sends the Jpg, files to the folder I choose, or other formats, to. I'm just really glad I have this,now it makes Videos, to an also tells me, my FPS. In game,  with Yellow #'s, it's great, cause I just got, installed my used, Good ,Video card, just got it,so saved $$)

Great tiny program, so glad Nooo more Alt-P ;)  I know I'm Forgetting something, but I will call it a Good day here, an really would like finding out more, about all this too.
But,again I wanted tell you, I'm pretty happy with Vegs" Nfs4HS Modern Patch,  lets have a 8 Car Full Grid, but I don't use that many always,  cause they Run me off the Road, them meany) Cars... geez)  so yes it's a Great patch, Re~Worked the Game. He's a Very smart guy he is? Did you install that yet? GameKar01 ttul--  ^-^  8)
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2017, 6:58 PM by _WiLL_ »

Reply #6
on: Jan 02, 2017, 9:18 AM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
I have to admit that in first place I didn't really understand what these threads should be all about :-\ ... was a bit excited at first since I thought someone might have re-released HS on a new game engine like on the FAR CRY engine (cryforspeed) project that once been started ...

Also the presentation videos aren't really revealing something completely new to me since there are so many game reviews about HP/HS that I quitted counting once ...

What does 'depth analysis' mean .. to you? I think Evgeny (who made the VEG NFS modern patches) for example plunged into the games' code like no-one did ever before except for perhaps EA's game engineers themselves? Or Zalcus20 and Dr.Speed were discovering things concerning of how to use Ghost files that no-one ever had thought about ...

Paul for example is also making Police cars from German Democratic Republic or Soviet Union, former States that most of the younger gamers only know from history lessons or books .. so ...

...what's it all about then?

@MADMAN: thx for pointing out things I haven't also noticed or known yet .. like for example that door bell .. =D
You never stop learning .. even the oldest cow learns how to better mow (in variation of a German saying .. ;))

Cheers 2all
Frank
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2017, 9:35 AM by FranknFurter »

Reply #7
on: Jan 03, 2017, 12:19 AM
Rookie Member

NFS4 HS download:

Intalling guide by JimD:

Hello,
using JimD's stock pack is probably the easiest and most comfortable way of installing NFS4, since you don't need to fiddle with settings in text/ini-files.
Nice idea making those videos. Maybe it will attract attention of a few pep's that find your channel :)
Though, for the gameplay videos you should really check that you have your graphics set up correctly. Because your NFS3 video shows really poor visuals since your game is running in some kind of software mode.
At the time these NFS titles were released they had pretty advanced graphics, given that you had the bucks for a high-end rig (NFS4 was one of the first (maybe even the first) racing game featuring car interiors with driver movements from exterior view). Today ofc you can easily showcase these games with highest graphic settings.
You should do so. Run the 3D setup and choose Glide (should be available with Jim's pack)
Important to mention that NFS 2-5 were designed for using 3dfx Glide API, DirectX was only supported subsidiary by default. Especially NFS2 and NFS3 had some effects (like fog) that only showed up when using a 3dfx Voodoo card.

For interesting aspects/ester eggs:
- High Stakes introduced damage and a career mode to the series, as well as 3D cockpit views
- unlike the PSX version there is no local police chatter on the PC version, but in the english PC version of NFS4 the police has different accents depending on the location
- some localisations have unique cars (e.g. japanese Over Drivin IV has a Nissan Skyline on top of the default cars)
- the PC version is missing 3 music titles compared to playstation version (namely Bring That Beat Back & Electro Optik by ROM and Globular Cluster by Saki Kaskas)
- High Stakes has all NFS3 tracks by default, because of that rumors said it was intended to be NFS3 SE
- on all tracks there are various interesting spots with actions taking place or special sounds played; i wouldnt consider all of them easter eggs, but mentioning these that might be interesting
   - Snowy Ridge track: frozen person in the Snowplow at the sand-depot
   - Landstrasse track: right at the start, park your car infront of one of the building entrances; at one of them a door bell will start ringing
   - Just set the windows date to 31/12 and play at night. Happy New year, every track will have fireworks now.
- using the function keys you can enable/disable music, sound effects, engine or show/hide the HUD and even the pause menu; pressing Alt+P puts screenshot to your desktop in .tga format (not working with new OS)
- If you enter the credits-menu change the display from "text" to "pictures" and click the appearing photos. A mini game called "CLICK THE PHOTO" will start

There is probably more stuff, also you already know some of the mentioned things most likely.
Of course not everything can be used in a video like you plan, but im sure some members here can add some more things that i haven't mentioned.

Greetings

Your response is absolutely prescious. I will try ur suggestion on NFS3 and see how it goes. I think I was running on a Voodoo add-on just to get the game running. And ur very right on the graphics, it looks really off. I noticed that when i compared mine with other YT videos.

As your ester eggs for HS, i knew one or two but that fireworks one really blew me away haha. will try that for sure!

Thanks again. I will try my best on the next vid! cheers!

Reply #8
on: Jan 03, 2017, 12:32 AM
Rookie Member

I have to admit that in first place I didn't really understand what these threads should be all about :-\ ... was a bit excited at first since I thought someone might have re-released HS on a new game engine like on the FAR CRY engine (cryforspeed) project that once been started ...

Also the presentation videos aren't really revealing something completely new to me since there are so many game reviews about HP/HS that I quitted counting once ...

What does 'depth analysis' mean .. to you? I think Evgeny (who made the VEG NFS modern patches) for example plunged into the games' code like no-one did ever before except for perhaps EA's game engineers themselves? Or Zalcus20 and Dr.Speed were discovering things concerning of how to use Ghost files that no-one ever had thought about ...

Paul for example is also making Police cars from German Democratic Republic or Soviet Union, former States that most of the younger gamers only know from history lessons or books .. so ...

...what's it all about then?

@MADMAN: thx for pointing out things I haven't also noticed or known yet .. like for example that door bell .. =D
You never stop learning .. even the oldest cow learns how to better mow (in variation of a German saying .. ;))

Cheers 2all
Frank

Hey Frank, thanks for your input.

with do respect, and Im not self justifying here, i think my understanding of in-depth can come from different aspects. As i mentioned couple times in the video, my intention is to find WHAT IS GOOD back in these old games. It's a comparison point of view, like u grab a 2001 BMW E39 M5 and you go super indepth, and there's different ways doing it. You can do something like the NFS veterans u mentioned, by taking the car apart like a car engineer, learn it, analyze it. That's one way we call it indepth. But I can also go indepth by going wat's good about this classic M5 and why we love it and what is missing from the new current gen 2016 F10 M5.

There's barely any videos on Youtube doing similar stuff like mine on NFS HP or HS. and my intention is not staying with neither HP nor HS but going from HP all the way to NFS Carbon. And then I will conclude what's missing from current gen 2016 NFS. that's a general goal and that's my overall intention.

You also have to understand the limit of my personal ability espeically the time I was playing NFS3HP, i was 10 year old.

So I come to NFS addons here to listen to ppl like u, like Madman who knows things I dont know so I can put into my video to educate younger audience.

There's always new ways to introduce/show old stuff by going through a new aspect, especially something good and classic.

Cheers & happy 2017

Reply #9
on: Jan 03, 2017, 5:18 AM

with do respect, and Im not self justifying here, i think my understanding of in-depth can come from different aspects. As i mentioned couple times in the video, my intention is to find WHAT IS GOOD back in these old games. It's a comparison point of view, like u grab a 2001 BMW E39 M5 and you go super indepth, and there's different ways doing it. You can do something like the NFS veterans u mentioned, by taking the car apart like a car engineer, learn it, analyze it. That's one way we call it indepth. But I can also go indepth by going wat's good about this classic M5 and why we love it and what is missing from the new current gen 2016 F10 M5.

There's barely any videos on Youtube doing similar stuff like mine on NFS HP or HS. and my intention is not staying with neither HP nor HS but going from HP all the way to NFS Carbon. And then I will conclude what's missing from current gen 2016 NFS. that's a general goal and that's my overall intention.
My mind said for that, NFSHS 2017 be like......someone can make/convert new or modern car such Mercedes AMG-GT 2016, Audi R8 V10 Plus 2016, Aston Martin CC-100 2013, SRT Viper GTS 2013, And BMW F10 M5/M4 2014.
All of that cars its my wishlist for RACE in Need For Speed High Stakes (im so hopeful XD )

Reply #10
on: Jan 03, 2017, 8:13 AM

• Personal Text
Well, said there GsmeKar01 it be nice of you to do, these types of things, to keep Nfs4'HS alive more an other ones, Good day,  I miss kinda making Videos, but getting the Sound to match a 100% wasn't so easy when I did them cya bud :)
An yes,Dandreden, I like to Search out more, those Super Cars you spoke about)

Reply #11
on: Jan 03, 2017, 10:46 AM

Your response is absolutely prescious. I will try ur suggestion on NFS3 and see how it goes. I think I was running on a Voodoo add-on just to get the game running. And ur very right on the graphics, it looks really off. I noticed that when i compared mine with other YT videos.

As your ester eggs for HS, i knew one or two but that fireworks one really blew me away haha. will try that for sure!

Another important aspect i did not mention so far: i think what really made NFS2,NFS3 and NFS4 (which were based on the same game-engine by the way) so big and so successful, was the ability to modify the game.
Back then EA followed some different politics, so they put editing tools for their game on the NFS3 CD...

Quote from: NFSCheats.com (nfscheats.com/nfs3.php)
One very interesting thing about the retail Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit for PC was that EA actually included it's own car editor in a zip file on the CD. Need For Speed II was already a big editing game, but now EA included downloadable cars. And all those downloadable cars did was create their own folder. So people tried and created their own cars then proceeded to create their own folders. Well what do you know, it worked! You can add-on cars now!! NFSII/SE could only have you replace over your cars, but since EA has done the downloadable car thing, now you can create your own. This made the car editing craze huge. Plus EA's own Cartool was a very good editor. This is where the whole car editing thing really took off.

Of course Hot Pursuit and High Stakes were great games, but with that it was possible for everybody to customize these games to their needs. Since NFS1-NFS4 are based on the same game-engine, the file formats were similar; resulting to an insane number of cars, tracks and tools for editing. High Stakes probably profited even more than Hot Pursuit from that development.
I think modding is what makes up the largest part of the long-term fascination. Steadily new content was produced by so many people.
In fact, this is very much comparable to the GTA series that always had a big modding community as well.

For your problems with NFS3 i would recommend to use Veg's Modern Patch:
http://veg.by/en/projects/nfs3/
It also is available for NFS4 and a good option if you want to use mods.
http://veg.by/en/projects/nfs4/
The patch has no installer, but the installation is not too complicated.

Additionally, you might take a look at the NFS3 Expansion Pack as well.
http://nfs3expansionpack.webs.com/

Greetings
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2017, 11:22 AM by MADMAN_nfs »

Reply #12
on: Jan 03, 2017, 10:56 AM
Rookie Member

Hi there GameKar01 um, I wants to tell, you I didn't mean be, So Grumpy, last night.. but I was. Nice topic you Created, cause like Madman an other more Knowledgeable, guys,here have more Experience, like I just Learned from, MadMans, post.  Well , I have to tell you, it took me a very like, long time.., to Understand, the Whole picture, Concept, Polygons,  of Editing, T3ED, Tracks, (I hate admitting, I always was a slow learning) So, it's not as hard, as you think? What bothers, me most, to is things, that I haven't Learned, making Tracks,so far,I wished the more Experienced, guys, that are still around, here would Unleash there Skills,to me, but they Haven't yet : ( maybe there isn't any? So there GameKar01 : )  I made a Video before, I did more those kinds, of things few years back, but it takes much pc, power I think to make them, an HDD space,.I don't have now days. Or even isp-' on my Pc. Sure do miss it tho, i wanted tell MadMan his post was real Cool an Wow, I never knew, about this photo click, Mini Game :D an such wonder how you play that, maybe takes me few weeks too learn it? ;))

Nope, oh i Remember, back in say 2000 I was hitting this Alt-P, on my Windows 98 an man, I sure had a bad, Mess of TGA-' Files, on my Desktop! Was Insane) ) man took a week to get all off there!! OMG... :))) I'm sure glad them, days are long Over, saying that huh, But I have Found a great Tool Called 'FRAPS, came out in 2007, it makes Screen shots, of the game from inside,sends the Jpg, files to the folder I choose, or other formats, to. I'm just really glad I have this,now it makes Videos, to an also tells me, my FPS. In game,  with Yellow #'s, it's great, cause I just got, installed my used, Good ,Video card, just got it,so saved $$)

Great tiny program, so glad Nooo more Alt-P ;)  I know I'm Forgetting something, but I will call it a Good day here, an really would like finding out more, about all this too.
But,again I wanted tell you, I'm pretty happy with Vegs" Nfs4HS Modern Patch,  lets have a 8 Car Full Grid, but I don't use that many always,  cause they Run me off the Road, them meany) Cars... geez)  so yes it's a Great patch, Re~Worked the Game. He's a Very smart guy he is? Did you install that yet? GameKar01 ttul--  ^-^  8)

Morning Will. Love your comments! Although it took me a while to read everything you wrote haha.

Anyway, about track making, i hope some day i could contribute somehow to this but currently I just be honest with you that I have never tried custom making tracks on HS nor HP. SO very new topic for me as well haha. But, that being said, still worth trying! I will dig this up when i got time.

And yes, u always learning isnt it. MADMAN posted some great easter eggs which is something i want to go "in-depth" about, talking about why games 18 years ago is legendary and why ppl still playing it today. It's all about how much developers had devoted themselves into the game and I strongly believe today's developers got too many distractions that they could not just focusing on making good games, PURE GOOD GAMES.

Last but not least, to be honest, i dont even know Alt+P back when i was using old windows hahaha. I do used Fraps for awhile but it's a bit frustrating that the video it recorded only last 10 min each. Im currently using NVIDIA's GeForce Experience to record video(it comes with graphic card driver, very easy to use)

Cheers!

Reply #13
on: Jan 03, 2017, 11:38 AM
Rookie Member

Another important aspect i did not mention so far: i think what really made NFS2,NFS3 and NFS4 (which were based on the same game-engine by the way) so big and so successful, was the ability to modify the game.
Back then EA followed some different politics, so they put editing tools for their game on the NFS3 CD...

Quote from: NFSCheats.com (nfscheats.com/nfs3.php)
One very interesting thing about the retail Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit for PC was that EA actually included it's own car editor in a zip file on the CD. Need For Speed II was already a big editing game, but now EA included downloadable cars. And all those downloadable cars did was create their own folder. So people tried and created their own cars then proceeded to create their own folders. Well what do you know, it worked! You can add-on cars now!! NFSII/SE could only have you replace over your cars, but since EA has done the downloadable car thing, now you can create your own. This made the car editing craze huge. Plus EA's own Cartool was a very good editor. This is where the whole car editing thing really took off.

Of course Hot Pursuit and High Stakes were great games, but with that it was possible for everybody to customize these games to their needs. I think this is what makes up the largest part of the long-term fascination. Steadily new content was produced by so many people.
In fact, this is very much comparable to the GTA series that always had a big modding community as well.

For your problems with NFS3 i would recommend to use Veg's Modern Patch:
http://veg.by/en/projects/nfs3/
It also is available for NFS4 and a good option if you want to use mods.
http://veg.by/en/projects/nfs4/
The patch has no installer, but the installation is not too complicated.

Additionally, you might take a look at the NFS3 Expansion Pack as well.
http://nfs3expansionpack.webs.com/

Greetings

Ur just keep coming arent you! Absolutely great information MADMAN, much love <333

I will definitely put more efforts to talk about modding and open source this time on NFS4HS and touch base on wat really made NFSHP great. You see, one main reason of PC master race is becuz community modling and that explains why games like GTA and Skyrim or Fallout is so popluar and appreciated. I remember spending hours on GTA IV just to get handling data right to wat I wanted on certain mod cars.

But I do think that one possible improvement on modding as a whole could be the fact that it needs to be better presented. the whole package of "mod" is a bit on techinical side to mose of casual gamers. U may ask why bother on gamers who are casual but it's like wat Bill Gates & Mark Zarkerburg said on Coding. Making Coding friendly & accessible to everyone will benefit the whole, the same topic for PC modding. If somehow we made it super firendly and easy to use, then it's a game changer i think.

anyway, ur comments are all super super helpful. Hope you can stick with my following works and throw me suggestions if you can.

BTW, your profile picture, Carmageddon 2, I do have this game on my local. I hope I could do videos about this game one day.

I also have a game called Power Slide,which I played many many years ago. very unique game (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy8y_F8AWGo)

Reply #14
on: Jan 03, 2017, 3:33 PM
Administrator Hero Member

Modding definitely was a big feature in NFS3 and 4. At its high point (the early 2000's), there were literally hundreds of NFS-related websites, big and small, offering add-on cars and tracks. It may have been one of the most popular games to create mods for of its era (okay, maybe not like Quake or Unreal, but still). For a while, a German PC gaming magazine would devote a page each month to the best NFS3/4 mods.

One of the things that made it popular, I think, was it's open structure. This meant that you could add cars (up to a maximum of 50) thus expanding your car roster considerably. Many later NFS games that were made moddable thanks to the efforts of the fan community such as Underground 1-2 and Most Wanted, always made you overwrite a specific original car.

The relatively simple graphics also made it easier to get into for beginning modders. If you want to make mods for modern racing games now, you'd already have to be a professional 3d designer because everything is super detailed and photo-realistic.
Many modders quickly surpassed the quality of the in-game cars, and a few (Eric Arroyo, Martin Leps, Endo for example) actually went on to become professional vehicle designers for games.

Eric Arroyo was actually hired by EA themselves, to work on Motorcity Online.  :)
Are you going to cover that game too, by the way? Although it lost the 'NFS' from its name (it originally was supposed to be a regular Need for Speed chapter) it's still very closely related to NFS3/4. One the other hand, it being online-only, pay-to-play, and only available in the USA, it may not have reached the wide audience that the normal NFS games have.

Support NFSAddons: