NFSAddons Forums

Mar 28, 2024, 7:07 AM

Some notes on car classes and compare values

This is a discussion for the topic Some notes on car classes and compare values on the board NFS:HS Workshop.

Author Topic: Some notes on car classes and compare values  (Read 13060 times)

10 Replies on Some notes on car classes and compare values
on: Jul 30, 2016, 12:15 PM

• Personal Text
    Stupid blunt claws.
Car classes
Some of you have wondered what are the criteria to fit a car into a certain class in NFSHS. Well, I made some tests to determine what are the upper and lower limits pertaining each car class (at least on terms of acceleration and top speed) using the fastest cars for each. Here are my results:

This table is meant only as a guideline for car classes; some cars might exceed or falter in some areas (for example, a Lotus Elise usually does the 0-60 in the mid 5 sec range, making it a A class car, but it's top speed is below what you see in A class cars -120 mph-). Handling and braking are not measurable in game, so you gotta use another car in the same class as a benchmark

Compare values
NFSHS is rather weird on how it uses the compare values of fedata files. The range of the bars of the compare screen is smaller than it looks. Here's a picture of how do they actually work:

So if the minimum value is 3 and the max is 20, that means we have 17 usable "chunks" of the bar. Now each chunk has to have an equivalent in acceleration and top speed at least (as I said before, handling and braking are not measurable in game) and after some S.W.A.G. I figured out how accel and top speed are measured in compare:

1 chunk of the bar is equal to:

* -0.3 seconds from 0 to 60 (beginning with lowest value -Mercedes SLK; +7 s-)
* 5 mph (8 km/h) top speed (beginning with the lowest value -BMW Z3; -130 mph [-210 km/h])

And the overall value is just the average of the 4 values

Also, there is the Excel spreadsheet I made to help you out with that

Feel free to add any more insights if you have any
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2018, 9:02 AM by AJ_Lethal »

Reply #1
on: Jul 30, 2016, 1:04 PM

• Personal Text
    Dark Paladin
Biggest problem is that nowadays we have cars like Ferrari 458 Italia which are faster than an Enzo. :P Which is why class is relative to time period.

Your Evo X for example could easily be Class AA! It should be faster than a Corvette C5 (fastest A class car), at least around a track.

Handling is based on feel, but for acceleration and top speed, you could use something like the fastest cars in reality instead of in the game.

What determines class in the vanilla game is the overall rating, I believe. The Corvette should be a Class AA car, but it's artificially knocked down to A, and I believe it's because the automatic variant has only 4 gears. In the game, its overall rating is lower than that of the M5, which has the same stats otherwise. The Elise would easily be an A Class car because, while it can't quite compete at the fastest tracks, it's one of the fastest at curvy venues.

Reply #2
on: Jul 30, 2016, 1:29 PM

• Personal Text
    Stupid blunt claws.
Your Evo X for example could easily be Class AA! It should be faster than a Corvette C5 (fastest A class car), at least around a track.
I do not account for dumb-as-bricks AI :P. Although I try to get a similar opponent accel table for opponents

Handling is based on feel, but for acceleration and top speed, you could use something like the fastest cars in reality instead of in the game.
Not really, if you go with the manual transmission you will get rather accurate acceleration times, not to mention I only used the game's speedo for top speed (instead of the results screen one).

What determines class in the vanilla game is the overall rating, I believe. The Corvette should be a Class AA car, but it's artificially knocked down to A, and I believe it's because the automatic variant has only 4 gears. In the game, its overall rating is lower than that of the M5, which has the same stats otherwise. The Elise would easily be an A Class car because, while it can't quite compete at the fastest tracks, it's one of the fastest at curvy venues.
Overall in reality is an arbitrary value (like any compare value) if you go with EA's cars. I found out the M5 has a higher top speed than any A class car (298 km/h vs BCam's 290) while accelerating as fast as the Bonus Camaro; that's prolly the reason of the higher overall compared with the Corvette. It's more of a "top-A, bottom-AA" thing. It's not like the EA's XR8 which should be a B class by any measure.

Reply #3
on: Jul 31, 2016, 4:25 AM

• Personal Text
    Ramms+ein fan
Very interesting insights you provide, here, AJ!

Though I think that on EA's side, classes were not only based on performance but also on creating some sort of homogeneous grids. B has entry-level European sportscars. Class A is that of muscle cars (if you count the Corvette as such, I don't, but then just call it US V8 sportscars). AA is European premium sports cars and AAA is FIA GT street homologation. The XKR obviously breaks the rules already and the official addons don't make things better.

So, while I think the performance-based approach makes more sense in terms of balance, I often followed the idea described above. I find a Chevrolet Caprice or Ford CV to look/feel better chasing a Camaro than an SLK, e.g.

Reply #4
on: Jul 31, 2016, 5:49 AM

• Personal Text
    I keep trying so far... Hmm 😶‍🌫️ ☮️ 😎
I agree to much, you said there XJ220 an I like reading all the big words :D an of Course learning,from the Topic. I'm still trying to make it thru- 😂
Let's have a better day...?

Reply #5
on: Jul 31, 2016, 11:50 AM

Determine what EA thought back in 1999?.I Don't care to much about what EA thought.We can easily change the class.For me it's this:

B class: everyday cars
A class: police cars (I don't play hot pursuit, so they are availible as normal car)
AA class: sports cars
AAA class: racing cars

And I exchange carp.txt a lot.

Reply #6
on: Aug 01, 2016, 2:05 PM

noise & AJ,
You both right.
Nfs Hs is NOT Nfs2 (its NOT the same) but its not the U1 either. Perfect game for modding (AJ), and enjoying the mods (noise).

----
But you seems all still didnt get one thing. You all, both sides, never asked for explaning the Handling teories in High Stakes.

Its all in brain. You need help - I have Teories (NOT the thousands of details like, perhaps, you think).

Handling in NfsHs is made like no other. It has no option to change it, only if not go into "Original Authors Thinking Base". This way I'm having success. But its still not enough... ...Well good thing is :) it has comes to limit now. Do you need it? Well i have the latest CARP for C6Stingray-Physical dimansions model. There is nothing beautiful, complete mess, but I gothered a logical limits & numbers between: GRIP, LATERAL ACC, GRADIENT UNDSTR, MAXWHEEL ACC, G-TRANSER -- in which (if you can) might find a Fresh looking ballance (all 5 paramemters is depending between eachother). If I cant - perhaps you can. I guerentee its fun, but after time, its enoying. The good thing is you DONT need to change all anyother parameters.

Its your time now.
Sorry for flame. All about HS is still in my interests.

No any archives to this message.

Reply #7
on: Aug 01, 2016, 7:18 PM

• Personal Text
    I keep trying so far... Hmm 😶‍🌫️ ☮️ 😎
I hear you there,Geminiyo an I messed An built good my 700Mph carp. Last year from great Stats you said If  :D
Nice to hear from you,ever again I feel what your saying!
I had a good day today went for a swim in are smaller lakes an helped a friend. I miss my F.  Pc. But it get better?? An
Cya around man yup :)
Let's have a better day...?

Reply #8
on: Aug 02, 2016, 1:30 PM

An built good my 700Mph carp

Have you tryed also to put down the Aero-Downfore into -999999.999999 volue ? to that your 700Mph ?

Have you tryed to put down the G-Transfer factor into -999999.999999 volue for your Only opponent car ? (for player dont do that)

^That 3 is perhaps the only fun features to see it to your own eyes.
------------

Reply #9
on: Aug 03, 2016, 7:46 AM

SO! Do read the latest post here:
http://www.nfscars.net/forum/nfs-high-stakes/53449-4lower-game.html
Test it, and then Decide if the Compare data of handling has sense to be or not.

P.s. Of cars with better LateralAcc, the locking brakes do the faster transfer. So them better at braking.

Reply #10
on: Jun 22, 2018, 9:04 AM

• Personal Text
    Stupid blunt claws.
Updated the fastest cars per class table, added a link to a Compare values helper Excel spreadsheet

Support NFSAddons: