NFSAddons Forums

Mar 28, 2024, 3:26 AM

Fresh Install - Black Screen?

This is a discussion for the topic Fresh Install - Black Screen? on the board NFS:HS Support.

Author Topic: Fresh Install - Black Screen?  (Read 36924 times)

9 Replies on Fresh Install - Black Screen?
on: Jun 15, 2016, 4:38 AM
Rookie Member

I wonder if someone can help me.  Up until a couple of days ago I've only played HS through a PSX emulator as I presumed the PC game was too old to run on my Windows 7 machine.

I installed the game firstly on my own and then (after a failed attempt) following AJ_Lethal's Youtube video using JD's Stock Pack.

I finally got the game installed okay but when I start a race the HUD is visible but the actual game screen is black.  I've tried every driver supplied in the Stock Pack patch.  Every one does the same thing - Perfectly fine HUD but no 3D image...

I can get the game running after a fashion using VEG's patch but the game runs poorly.  The screen is very jerky (like really crappy vsync) and periodically the frame rate drops to single digits making the game unplayable for me.

I'm guessing it's user error somewhere along the line but I'm not sure where!  Any pointers or tips would be appreciated. 

My specs are:  Windows 7 Pro x64, GTX 780 GPU, i7 4770k CPU and 8 gigs of RAM. :)

If all else fails, I can always just go back to playing the game under PSX emulation but it would be nice to play the game online at least once before I pop my clogs. :P

Reply #1
on: Jun 15, 2016, 9:19 AM

• Personal Text
    I keep trying so far... Hmm 😶‍🌫️ ☮️ 😎
Hi there HR. Did you say your going to have Heart Surgery, :o at the end of your post? Sounds real,painful... I have close to same setup as your pc. But you have more Ram,on yours.
I never had any real bad Running probs to much With HS. No black screens. Yes I seen my Fps'. Drop 1/2 since I have Vegs mod going, but isen't real choppy. With a Full grid if higher poly cars? Try turning other programs off in the back ground? Reg edit, or not Have music on?

I like to still work on my A. Track I have weeks ago. Made more fixes. But Slow going :) I have JimD's 4.50 patch on to with this. But the Ghosts cars thing, Dosent Work no more with that,an I'm kinda glad for that.
Cars don't go thru-each other no more, if Damage is off. Collison is I ment.
Maybe others know what's Up on your pribs good luck thru It all an a speedy Recovery.
Let's have a better day...?

Reply #2
on: Jun 15, 2016, 9:50 AM

That's a tough one, never had that problem.
I could imagine that your graphics driver is eventually forcing something that doesn't go well together with the game engine, what are your nvidia graphics driver settings for the game?

Reply #3
on: Jun 15, 2016, 10:40 AM
Rookie Member

Thankfully, no, I'm not going for heart surgery... I'm just not getting any younger!

As far as my Nvidia settings go, they're untouched from default.  Everything that defaults to letting the app choose the setting does that.  I tried messing about with switching triple buffering on and off and vsync on and off but they're the only 2 that I've touched...

I've spent the past couple of days looking around the interwebs but haven't found anyone else report the issue I'm having.  It was after that investigation that I put it down to my mistake somewhere - I just can't see what I've done wrong.

I'm going to scrabble about and 'acquire' a couple of different versions and see if anything's different.  Wish me luck! :)

Reply #4
on: Jun 16, 2016, 8:34 AM

• Personal Text
    Ramms+ein fan
A tough one indeed... are you running multiple screens or something?

When I was using two screens of different resolutions, I'd often have to find the game's config settings and enable Vsync before I'd see anything else than a black screen.

Since you're mentioning the HUD, I suppose the menu is working? The menu runs at 640x480 no matter what under D3D. Have you tried lowering the game's resolution?

Reply #5
on: Jun 16, 2016, 8:43 AM

Hey,
i have a Nvidia GTX 660 graphics card, which also has a Kepler chip like your GTX 780 card. Also running Windows 7 x64.
And yes i have the same issue like you. DirectX modes are crashing or show black screen. The only way to run NFS is via nGlide emulator (which also comes with the latest Stock/Expansion Pack but can be installed seperately too).
Just make sure you check to install nGlide when running JimD's Stock/Expansion Pack Setup. Just run the 3D Setup of NFS4 and choose "Glide (Voodoo Cards)". Don't alter the resolution or buffers via ingame menu. Set your Resolution in the nGlide Configurator (Windows start menu) instead. Don't use any compatibility mode or patches that set single core affinity. And NFS4 should run just fine with you system.

By the way, Veg's modern patch has exactly the same problems with DirectX modes on my system. So iassume its a DirectX 11 related issue (incompatibility).

What Playstation emulator are you using? Can you name the version and tell us what plugins you are using? That would be intersting for me, thx :)

Reply #6
on: Jun 16, 2016, 8:52 AM

• Personal Text
    I keep trying so far... Hmm 😶‍🌫️ ☮️ 😎
Nice post at Madman_nfs thanks for that info to 😎
Let's have a better day...?

Reply #7
on: Jun 16, 2016, 1:19 PM
Rookie Member

Thanks for the tip.  I reinstalled the game and chose nGlide.  All seems well now.

What's strange is that I had already tried nGlide with my previous install.  The only thing I can think of is that Direct X had screwed something up first or left some detritus in the registry...  Dunno really.

As for the PSX emulator, I use Mednafen PSX through RetroArch.  It's quite picky to set up (you need the right BIOS files and then point the emulator to where they're stored as the default setting doesn't work) but it's really nice when up and running.  To my uneducated eye, it seems to be pretty accurate and is very smooth.

On my wee netbook (Toshiba NB550D), I've stuck with ePSXe 1.9.25.  Newer builds are too much of a drain on the system and Mednafen is just unplayable as it's uses software video emulation rather than OGL or Direct X.

Personally, even though my big rig is super fast and smooth, I actually prefer to play most games on my netbook.  There's just something charming about playing PSX games on this wee gem of netbook on an 11" screen. :)

Reply #8
on: Jul 14, 2018, 1:54 PM

Hipnotic Rogue open DXDIAG and perform all tests.

Reply #9
on: Jul 16, 2018, 7:12 AM

Hipnotic Rogue open DXDIAG and perform all tests.

Note the date mate :)

Problem was solved.
Also on Win7, dxdiag cannot perform any tests (apart from WHQL check maybe)...

Support NFSAddons: