NFSAddons Forums

Mar 29, 2024, 6:16 AM

Need For Speed 4 Modern Patch - Donations?

This is a discussion for the topic Need For Speed 4 Modern Patch - Donations? on the board General NFS.

Poll

Choose the maximum sum you would donate for Veg's "NFS4 Modern Patch" project.

5$
0 (0%)
10$
0 (0%)
20$
0 (0%)
30$
2 (22.2%)
40$
0 (0%)
50$
3 (33.3%)
60$
1 (11.1%)
70$
0 (0%)
80$
0 (0%)
90$
0 (0%)
100$
2 (22.2%)
150$
0 (0%)
200$
0 (0%)
even more
0 (0%)
I will not donate for this project.
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: Jun 20, 2016, 3:12 AM

Author Topic: Need For Speed 4 Modern Patch - Donations?  (Read 150937 times)

Reply #45
on: Aug 08, 2016, 12:25 AM

I was wondering about that,too. I still got the money in my pocket, that is supposed to be transfered. :)
Get T3ED, Stock & Expansion Pack from Magenta Cloud.

Reply #46
on: Aug 15, 2016, 4:48 AM

Well, it looks like we have to be patient for now.

I don't know any details, but Veg is still busy with other projects.

Quote from: PM by VEG
I'm sorry, I have some unexpected problems, so I'm working on them.
But I'm still planning to work on NFS4 patch, I'll post "how to donate" only when I'll be sure that I'll be able to work for a month on this project without any distractions.

So, stay tuned...

Reply #47
on: Aug 15, 2016, 7:33 AM

• Personal Text
    Ramms+ein fan
Thanks for keeping us updated.

Reply #48
on: Sep 20, 2016, 4:20 AM

finally got around to installing this. I've had a lengthy absence, so pardon me if I'm super late.

it's amazing to be able to play NFS4 without any gimmicks or hacks. and to see it in crappy Glide again.

Reply #49
on: Sep 20, 2016, 6:57 AM

Well, it looks like we have to be patient for now.

I don't know any details, but Veg is still busy with other projects.

Quote from: PM by VEG
I'm sorry, I have some unexpected problems, so I'm working on them.
But I'm still planning to work on NFS4 patch, I'll post "how to donate" only when I'll be sure that I'll be able to work for a month on this project without any distractions.

So, stay tuned...

Good to know it's still on his mind!

Reply #50
on: Sep 30, 2016, 7:25 AM
Rookie Member

• Personal Text
    NFS Classics 4 Ever.
Sorry because I'm completely late, but I've been away from HS a long time. I've read all the threats related to VEG NFS4 Modern Patch (including his blog) until the sadly point where he says the project its stopped.

I will go straight to the point: I would donate to our cause; its my favorite NFS of the whole series and I prefer give my money to keep upgrading this before buying another crappy new NFS title. I'm thinking in about 30 euros, probably more if the project goes big.

Having said this: Do we know any news from VEG? He's really interested in keep de project working?

Thx, as always.

« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2016, 7:27 AM by Gustingorriz »
NFS Classics 4 Ever.

High Stakes Modding & Gameplays: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM6iLQXpAJxknqaziZss5uw

Reply #51
on: Oct 06, 2016, 2:27 AM
View Profile

VEG

Hello everyone! Sorry for my late reply. I'm working on the patch again.

A new beta is here: http://veg.by/files/nfs4/nfs4_modern_patch_beta.7z

The main change is much improved DX7 renderer. Now it has Texel Alignment fix, as the result everything look sharp like when Glide renderers are used. I've fixed all differences between DX7 and Glide renderers in the NFS3, and I would like to do the same thing for the NFS4.

Why the DX7 renderer is important? First of all, it has the best performance on some systems when high poly cars are used. I have a report that with full grid of high poly cars nGlide has ≈18FPS, dgVoodoo has ≈30FPS, and DX7 has ≈60FPS. Second, DX7 renderer is able to use widescreen resolutions without additional patching of the renderer. Glide renderer (voodoo2a.dll) needs additional heavy patching to be able to use widescreen resolutions, 32bpp modes and huge textures (from 256×256 to 2048×2048). None of this is needed for the DX7 renderer. It supports these features itself. Third, DX7 will be very useful for retro computers without the 3dfx Voodoo GPU. Also DirectX allows to use windowed mode from the program. Glide API doesn't have such things and the dgVoodoo / nGlide do windowed mode using some ugly hacks. It will be much easier to debug the game using DX7 renderer + windowed mode.

It doesn't mean that voodoo2a.dll will not be patched. It will be, but later. First of all, we have to choose the best voodoo2a.dll which will be patched. I have a huge collection of such renderers (thrash drivers) from different games and maybe some newer voodoo2a.dll will be better. It needs testing.

At the moment I'm working on the DX7 renderer and I would like to fix as much problems with it as possible. I know about visible black polygon near the Old Church in the Hometown. And I know how to fix it, it will be fixed soon. Please report about any other problems with this renderer. Also please write about differences in rendering between Glide and DX7 renderers. At the moment I know about these:
— No title text animation in the menu when DX7 is used.
— No flying bars animation on dialog show in the menu when DX7 is used.

Also please check performance of the DX7 and compare it with other renderers. I need some stats to know how it works on different systems.

Please compare performance of:
1. DX7 from this NFS4 beta.
2. DX6 from this NFS4 beta.
3. DX6 from the NFS3 release.
4. DX7 from the NFS3 release.
5. This DX6.
6. nGlide from the NFS4 beta.
7. dgVoodoo from the NFS4 beta.
8. DX8 renderer from this NFS4 beta.

Test all of them in the NFS4 using the same settings. If you like NFS3 also, you I'm interested in performance testing of these renderers in the NFS3 also. The results may differ between NFS3 and NFS4!
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2016, 2:45 AM by VEG »

Reply #52
on: Oct 06, 2016, 3:27 AM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
Hello to you Evgeny!
My name is Frank, I am from Germany and like many others I am happy to have your great patch running on my machine.

Although I have to say I made some 'adjustments' to the environment of the patch's drivers you delivered, such as I am using Zeckensack's Glide3x.dll from his old Glide Wrapper 0.84c rather than the NGlide driver. It runs alot smoother since it doesn't cost so much CPU power as well as it can easily be configured by its Glide Configurator, as long as the Glide3x.dll is located in the \Windows directory.

I simply renamed the NGlide's Glide3x.dll in the NFS\drivers\NGLide folder so it isn't used.
No problem here since the game looks up in the Windows\system32 or \Windows directory for Glide driver(s).

Secondly, I simply extracted 'DX9b.dll' from the EP/SP (NFS\3DSetup -> D3DA.rar) to a new folder 'NFS\drivers\DX9' for DirectX9 support, for those who like DirectX better for some reasons. I just edited the 'thrash.ini' to have fog support and so on, as well as 'NFS4.ini' for the driver being found in this new folder ('ThrashDriver=DX9')

Both versions work fine on my machine, and, as I heard up to now, with others, too.

Keep up your excellent and patient work and thanks!
Greetings
Frank

« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2016, 3:34 AM by FranknFurter »

Reply #53
on: Oct 06, 2016, 3:54 AM
View Profile

VEG

FranknFurter, I had replied about it here and here. Actually, this DX9 isn't a DX9 renderer, it's just a dx7z.dll with changed version information and without any code changes. This dx7z.dll is taken from the "2002 FIFA World Cup Korea Japan". It uses Thrash API v115. NFS4 requires Thrash API v106, and it seems that Thrash API v107 is also ok. I'm not sure if Thrash API v115 will be fully compatible with NFS4. DX8 has Thrash API v115 also and it is not fully compatible with NFS3 and NFS4.

My patch includes dx7a.dll which is based on the dx7z.dll from the Motor City Online (from some version of this game). Thrash API is v107 in this DX7. It is very close to the v106 which is required by the NFS4. Also it seems that NFS3 also works nice with renderers with Thrash API from v104 to v107. Thrash API v11x had changed second digit in the version, it seems that it means some major differences without full backward compatibility.

But it is possible that dx7z.dll with Thrash API v115 is still compatible. Thrash API has an ability to set required version, and if a renderer supports previous versions of the API, it can work as a renderer with different version of Thrash API. Maybe dx7z.dll is able to work as it has Thrash API v106. Had anyone tested this renderer heavily?

BTW, have anyone any archived copy of the Motor City Online except the version which is available in the internet? As far as I know, this public version is a beta, and it is not the final release of the MCO. It would be nice to have the final release of this game. It seems that this guy has a copy of the latest release, but I can't register on this board to ask him about it because registration is broken on this site.

UPD. If you have more free time, please test these original DX7 renderers:
http://veg.by/files/nfs4/dx7drivers.7z

Any differences between them are interesting: performance, rendering, compatibility, etc. Please test them on the NFS3 and NFS4 separately. dx7api107 is from the MCO and current DX7 is based on this one. dx7api113 is from some newer version of the MCO. dx7api115 is from the FIFA 2002. All three these renderers are original, there are no any modifications. But if we will see if some version is better than others, maybe it will be better to use it as a base for patched DX7.

You can use something like FRAPS to measure FPS. BTW, maybe someone knows any better tool for measuring FPS? :)

Don't forget to mention your hardware (GPU, CPU, RAM), OS version, your game settings.
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2016, 5:48 AM by VEG »

Reply #54
on: Oct 06, 2016, 5:50 AM

• Personal Text
    Stupid blunt claws.
Glad to hear more from you, your work is pretty much a godsend.

BTW, have anyone any archived copy of the Motor City Online except the version which is available in the internet? As far as I know, this public version is a beta, and it is not the final release of the MCO. It would be nice to have the final release of this game. It seems that this guy has a copy of the latest release, but I can't register on this board to ask him about it because registration is broken on this site.

Driving Passion has pretty much everything about MCO so far, even the game itself: http://drivingpassion.net/site/index.php?page=downloads&type=misc&id=need-for-speed-series%2Fmotor-city-online_2

Reply #55
on: Oct 06, 2016, 6:22 AM
View Profile

VEG

Another note. If you're using Windows 8+, some DX renderers may not work because system doesn't allow to use 16 bit modes. To allow 16 bit modes for the game use such *.bat file for running the game:
Code: [Select]
set __COMPAT_LAYER=!DWM8And16BitMitigation
start nfs4.exe

This compatibility flag can be permanently stored in the registry here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

UPD. Also I'm searching beta versions of NFS3/NFS4. It may help us to improve graphics, because it seems that developers reduced size of most textures during development. More info is here: https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36250
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2016, 7:24 AM by VEG »

Reply #56
on: Oct 06, 2016, 7:36 AM
View Profile

VEG

I am using Zeckensack's Glide3x.dll from his old Glide Wrapper 0.84c rather than the NGlide driver.
Unfortunately, it will be not possible to use widescreen resolutions with this wrapper (you can check it with NFS3 which supports widescreen resolutions itself). Glide API is very limited and it wasn't developed with future in mind. As the result the list of all possible resolutions was hardcoded. There is no enumeration of resolutions like DirectX has. nGlide and dgVoodoo added extension for extended resolutions support for my NFS3 patch, so it is possible to use widescreen resolutions with these wrappers.

If you would like to use Zeckensack's Glide3x.dll, maybe it's time to write to the author of this wrapper with a question what he thinks about adding support of the extension into his wrapper. The wrapper isn't updated for 10 years, it seems that it is abandoned, but maybe the author will do it. The extension isn't hard to implement in the wrapper's side.

Reply #57
on: Oct 06, 2016, 7:47 AM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
 .. haven't thought your patch's starter is THAT customizable, GREAT! BTW I didn't mean to bother you by my suggestions or underestimate your work, I always like trying things out to see how things can run a bit better if possible.

And you're completely right, this DX9b is not what it's said to be, you investigate things very diligent before you publish anything, my absolute appreciation for that!

Since I don't use Direct3D for NFS on my machine anyway I haven't really considered about that, but the possibility to even customize the NFS4.ini that way is absolutely great, thanks! Now I can leave all my renderers where they are since I still have the NGLide'S Glide2x.dll in my \Windows\System directory as said for my even older GECKO game, cute.

I have now edited the NFS4.ini in the way you described - it works!

So for all folks out there who want to use rather Direct3D AND want to have at least fog support you would prefer the DX7 renderer, this the highest possible and stable version for NFS4?
On my girlfriend's Laptop which doesn't have a 3D card I have to use Direct3D (and since it doesn't have enough resolution for 1280x960 for HiRes Glide rendering), so your DX7 renderer would be the best choice for that? I heard the DX7 renderer would make problems? I haven't it tried yet ...

Add.: ... oops, you were faster! I'm just using it because the NGlide Wrapper lags my system like on other's machines, too. That's the only reason why I use it, it is small, it is fast, with the known disadvantages ...
Widescreen support of course would be great, more like a dream, but as a die-hard NFS4 Fan you are used to live with compromises and non-optimal solutions -LOL

Thanks
Frank
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2016, 7:55 AM by FranknFurter »

Reply #58
on: Oct 06, 2016, 7:48 AM

• Personal Text
    Stupid blunt claws.
Got a problem with your DX7 renderer in my machine (AMD A4-3300 APU -Radeon HD 6480G GPU-, 8 GB RAM, Win10 v1511); I only get a black screen upon starting the game, only sound can be heard.

I also tried the other DX7 renderers you provided in that zip: I stumble across the same problem as above with v107, v113 does not work at all, and v115 works flawlessly. So probably the problem I described above is probably due v107 not working with my OS/GPU.

Reply #59
on: Oct 06, 2016, 9:11 AM
View Profile

VEG

I also tried the other DX7 renderers you provided in that zip: I stumble across the same problem as above with v107, v113 does not work at all, and v115 works flawlessly. So probably the problem I described above is probably due v107 not working with my OS/GPU.
Possibly, when you had used v107, your system didn't provided 16-bit modes support. Windows often automatically adds compatibility flags for old programs which require 16-bit video modes. Please check these paths in the registry if there are some flags for your copy of the NFS4:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

So, if compatibility flag was added, you will see the video when v107 will be used also. Please check it and tell me if it is right.

The game doesn't support 32bpp rendering of the movies. Windows 8+ doesn't support 8bpp and 16bpp modes at all. But it has the DWM8And16BitMitigation flag which enables emulation of 8bpp and 16bpp modes. And windows can add this compatibility flag automatically when it thinks that this application requires 16-bit modes.

I'm planning to add 32bpp rendering for movies, but it is not a trivial task and it is planned only for the far future. When it will be added, menu and movies will be able to work in 32bpp modes, so this compatibility fix will not be needed for viewing movies on Windows 8+.
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2016, 9:18 AM by VEG »

Support NFSAddons: