NFSAddons Forums

Mar 28, 2024, 10:06 AM

Firefox reports site as malware source

This is a discussion for the topic Firefox reports site as malware source on the board NFSAddons Errors & Bugs.

Author Topic: Firefox reports site as malware source  (Read 24651 times)

Reply #15
on: Jul 23, 2016, 4:03 AM

• Personal Text
    Ramms+ein fan
I do prefer Opera. Though I am considering Vivaldi now, the actual modern successor to the original Opera which has turned into a Chromium derivative.

But then again, to add some reason to my posts, the internet is becoming more and more 'dangerous'.
I mean - the number of new malware released everyday, how elaborate phishing mails can be or the ways malware may be distributed... so to some degree, the nannying is good as long as you can deactivate when you know what you're doing. For example, I think it's great how Firefox keeps pushing back the anachronistic Flash plugin.
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2016, 4:06 AM by XJ220 »

Reply #16
on: Jul 23, 2016, 12:24 PM

• Personal Text
    Dark Paladin
You're right, Nils. :)

I heard good things about Vivaldi, myself. Might be the way to go, since Opera wasn't cutting it anymore. Chrome is nice, but it's ugly and it's from Google which is really intrusive. :(

Good thing is that we can choose, at least. :D

Reply #17
on: Aug 20, 2016, 9:46 PM

I haven't had this error occur.  Oh and BTW, I am back.  Kinda.  Sorta.  Maybe. 

Probably.

Reply #18
on: Aug 31, 2016, 9:46 AM
Administrator Hero Member

I am happy to report, that after a long battle with Googles robots, the site is now marked as a safe site :)

There were some false-positive malware reports inside of a lot of the downloads, mainly the NFS UG2 cars, because of the .exe files inside required for installation. Cleaned those up and we should be good to go.

If you see any more errors, let me know!

Reply #19
on: Aug 31, 2016, 10:35 AM

• Personal Text
    I keep trying so far... Hmm 😶‍🌫️ ☮️ 😎
That's CooL Mike glad to know all this now.  8)

I haven't had this error occur.  Oh and BTW, I am back.  Kinda.  Sorta.  Maybe. 

Probably.

Probaly, huh Pal lolz I wished i had a Pc. Like a Broken Record hmm, No.. Glad you be back around,an your Welcome.
Nice Avitar you still have. was made many yrs ago as i remember? Still works good. Cya around, i have newer Devices yet to use at home :( to Afford, have other prioritys of sorts. Have a Good one here? :-}
Let's have a better day...?

Reply #20
on: Aug 31, 2016, 1:13 PM

Great job Mike, you defeated the google bot    :D

Just curious, have you edited the respecting files somehow or deleted them completely?

Reply #21
on: Aug 31, 2016, 3:14 PM

Great job Mike, you defeated the google bot    :D

Just curious, have you edited the respecting files somehow or deleted them completely?

That's an accurate gif lol

I manually edited all the files and replaced NFS-CfgInstaller with a new version that doesn't have the "false positive" issue of being detected as malware. That took care of most of them. There were a couple files that I couldn't verify as being "clean", so I just removed them from the site. I don't think they were ever approved in the first place, but still got uploaded and were in the database

Reply #22
on: Sep 01, 2016, 3:03 PM

I am happy to report, that after a long battle with Googles robots, the site is now marked as a safe site :)

There were some false-positive malware reports inside of a lot of the downloads, mainly the NFS UG2 cars, because of the .exe files inside required for installation. Cleaned those up and we should be good to go.

Oh, this is great news, how did you manage to find the exact files that triggered the malware reports? did you use a virus scanner of sorts to scan all the files on our server?

Like Zpectre suggested earlier, I worried that it was because of the exe files you see in certain mods, but had no idea how to even begin to locate the 'wrong' ones.
I was worried it would scare potential new visitors away, so I'm really glad you put in all that work, thanks a lot.  :D

Reply #23
on: Sep 01, 2016, 4:40 PM

Oh, this is great news, how did you manage to find the exact files that triggered the malware reports? did you use a virus scanner of sorts to scan all the files on our server?

Like Zpectre suggested earlier, I worried that it was because of the exe files you see in certain mods, but had no idea how to even begin to locate the 'wrong' ones.
I was worried it would scare potential new visitors away, so I'm really glad you put in all that work, thanks a lot.  :D

Google provided a list of some of the files that had issues, and I noticed it was 95% ug and ug2 files, so I downloaded and scanned all of them. After you fix it, you have to submit it for re-approval, and that takes 24-48 hours.. and half the time they'd return the same list, of files, even if I had renamed or deleted them. Maybea fter re-submitting enough times they finally trigger a re-scan

Reply #24
on: Sep 05, 2016, 5:23 PM

Yeah, it must have been the UG2 files, I tried to download an Underground 2 mod car from NFSCars earlier this week, and again my browser (FireFox) again cried out a malware warning. :( Guess we will have to think about that once someone upload another UG/UG2 file here again.
I'm glad you persisted with the re-submitting though, sounds pretty frustrating to do.

Support NFSAddons: