NFSAddons Forums

Mar 28, 2024, 2:48 AM

Online-Resources of classic NFS titles

This is a discussion for the topic Online-Resources of classic NFS titles on the board General NFS.

Author Topic: Online-Resources of classic NFS titles  (Read 173860 times)

Reply #45
on: Feb 17, 2015, 11:51 AM

Quote from: will
...sry Reight for the Grabbers out there.. :/
Atleast i name Original Authors name: give Credit [...]
i know people,need too Respect others,Work. like cars more...
but i think Tracks are Different from cars Rule?

Well, I think permissions are a difficult topic.
Of course its not ok to take other peoples work, modify it and reupload without giving credit.

No matter if its a menu sound, car, track or whatever.

If the author is still active (even if not) or have a mail adress you must try to contact him for permission.
On the other hand in some cases it will be difficult (or impossible) to contact the author and ask for permission. Some might say, you cannot upload it then. Yes, true in a strict sense. But if i think of cars for example, a lot of modelers didnt ask the manufacturer in the first place. So cars have ferarri or porsche logo or other copyrighted emblems and brands. Car shapes are the product of months-long work of engineers and designers... so aren't we applying double standards here? (just something to think about :) ) Imo it isnt always black'n'white. Dont get me wrong, I have huge respect for the skilled car modelers and I know how much work it is to shape stuff into polygons!
As I said its a difficult topic.
All i want to say is, most of us moving in a grey zone when uploading modifications and we should not judge too hard because everyone here is doing this in freetime without making any profit. Imo it is more important to credit the original author thoroughly than to have permissions. Or to put it straight in a age-old game cite: 'Respect is everything.'

Quote from: Reight
hi mates.does someone know the admin of that that site? www.nfscardownload.com
i sent him an e-mail but nothing happened.there is a car made by me but titled as another author :/

So to come back to Reights question, i am in no way related to any of the sites listed here nor im connected with any of the site admins.
Concerning www.nfscardownload.com it looks like other cars (also most of yours) seem to be credited correctly and all downloads seem to have original archives and readme's. Looks like an accidental slip to me. Maybe you can place a comment for the car, since I cant see other ways to get in contact with the admin there.

Greetings

Reply #46
on: Feb 17, 2015, 1:26 PM

Actually i tried to post a short comment madman.didnt work.ok.the cars beeing uploaded isnt a big deal.i was sad about the wrong autor thing.but noise said krystoff and my cars are unfortunatly confused.so ok...i didnt know that.
Its nevertheless a good thing to see a new nfs site with love for nfshs fans :)

Reply #47
on: Feb 17, 2015, 8:33 PM

• Personal Text
    I keep trying so far... Hmm 😶‍🌫️ ☮️ 😎
Hi MMan_Nfs um,i understand,about what you said on there.
yes it's a little free time,an My Electric bill  :o
that i use for hours,with No-pay.. :P
 I've always wished
i could get some kind of pay for the work/Hobby i do.
but i do,it just my own Satisfaction of Sorts. I'm tired it's late.
yes i credit the Authors? An try Contacting them.
but i did better than there first
Job on this Celtic track cya ;)

@ Reight
Hi um, yes Reight i agree too,about glad they have a Nfs4 website.
if they could get it Straight tho  ::)
an,ah i was able too make a Comment:
post.,so i was
Lucky on that? I wanted you too view that ,ttyl :-}
thanks Reight for your nice Comment. ;)

http://www.nfscardownload.com/nfs-high-stakes/nfs-high-stakes-maserati-a6-pininfarina.html#comment-27
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2015, 7:59 AM by _WiLL_ »
Let's have a better day...?

Reply #48
on: Feb 18, 2015, 3:50 AM

Reply #49
on: Feb 18, 2015, 4:56 AM
Administrator Hero Member

Well, looks like it's been corrected.  :)

Reply #50
on: Feb 21, 2015, 4:18 AM

Well, I think permissions are a difficult topic.
Of course its not ok to take other peoples work, modify it and reupload without giving credit.

No matter if its a menu sound, car, track or whatever.

If the author is still active (even if not) or have a mail adress you must try to contact him for permission.
On the other hand in some cases it will be difficult (or impossible) to contact the author and ask for permission. Some might say, you cannot upload it then. Yes, true in a strict sense. But if i think of cars for example, a lot of modelers didnt ask the manufacturer in the first place. So cars have ferarri or porsche logo or other copyrighted emblems and brands. Car shapes are the product of months-long work of engineers and designers... so aren't we applying double standards here? (just something to think about :) ) Imo it isnt always black'n'white. Dont get me wrong, I have huge respect for the skilled car modelers and I know how much work it is to shape stuff into polygons!
As I said its a difficult topic.
All i want to say is, most of us moving in a grey zone when uploading modifications and we should not judge too hard because everyone here is doing this in freetime without making any profit. Imo it is more important to credit the original author thoroughly than to have permissions. Or to put it straight in a age-old game cite: 'Respect is everything.'

NFSBolide was facing charges by Ferrari. They forced him to stop building and remove his Ferraris for NFS4 off his website. That story could be read up somewhere, I don't remember where.
However, when I read that, I contacted the main manufacturer I build cars of - Porsche - and guess what? I got a permission to build their cars. That was back when the first Cayman appeared, mainly because I was trying to get blueprints of it, which they won't send. Porsche is cool about noncommercial projects, because it's free publicity for them. As far as I know, Ferrari is the only manufacturer so far, that tried to sue a modder of a racing game for making free publicity for them, which is idiotic. Car manufacturers profit of such things as racing game addons.

The point about permissions, and why Will's tracks for example, which were clearly made without permissions of the original authors are still online, is simply because everyone here tries to keep the NFS4 scene alive. I have thougt a lot about the permission and credits stuff in the past weeks, because Will pokes me all the time about it, and I figured that by strictly enforcing what is right, the scene is harmed more than it benefits from that. Since it's a personal concern for me to keep NFS 4 alive, I wouldn't want to do things that harm the scene.

Reply #51
on: Feb 22, 2015, 1:29 AM

Freak-DS said:

''figured that by strictly enforcing what is right, the scene is harmed more than it benefits from that. Since it's a personal concern for me to keep NFS 4 alive, I wouldn't want to do things that harm the scene.''

I like that,but I think people who steal also harm the scene.Could we say that mentioning the original author of a car is free publicity for him too?

Reply #52
on: Feb 22, 2015, 4:13 AM

• Personal Text
    Ramms+ein fan
And you really think Ferrari needs external publicity? Do you?

I mean, I find it rather awkward that a famous car manufacturer would even care about what happens in games, but the argument 'it's free publicity' for them doesn't hold. Do you really think that even a single Ferrari or other car was ever sold because someone saw it as a free add-on for a game?

Back to using some else's work, IMO credits should be sufficient, though I have always asked for permission myself if the original author said so in the readme.

Reply #53
on: Feb 24, 2015, 10:46 AM

• Personal Text
    I keep trying so far... Hmm 😶‍🌫️ ☮️ 😎
Hi atleast i Gave  you Guys Something too talk about?  =D ;)

just some Humor,Cough, I know this is a Serious matter an i Understand all that you 4
guys are saying,an i do that best i can!...

It's real sad but I'm getting over it a nice Fixer track i was doing -
80+ Hours has Crashed bad! Sux, an JimD is trying too fix it for me.
i wish he be Successful on it? I'm thankful much for all JimD has done
for us all. i wished,i never would of messed with that
Global animation thing :(  so have a nice day...
thanks for explanations too.
Let's have a better day...?

Reply #54
on: Feb 24, 2015, 11:24 AM

And you really think Ferrari needs external publicity? Do you?

I mean, I find it rather awkward that a famous car manufacturer would even care about what happens in games, but the argument 'it's free publicity' for them doesn't hold. Do you really think that even a single Ferrari or other car was ever sold because someone saw it as a free add-on for a game?

Back to using some else's work, IMO credits should be sufficient, though I have always asked for permission myself if the original author said so in the readme.

I didn't say they need it to exist, but why do you think it is appropriate to sue a modeler for making free publicity? What harm did it cause them then?

I also do not upload stuff that I could not get a permission for by the original author, because I wouldn't want that to happento my addons either. However, I cannot enforce this when there is no internal agreement upon asking for how to deal with this matter, so it'll stay the way it is right now and some addons remain hosted until we decide otherwise.

Reply #55
on: Feb 25, 2015, 5:37 AM

• Personal Text
    Ramms+ein fan
I didn't say they need it to exist, but why do you think it is appropriate to sue a modeler for making free publicity? What harm did it cause them then?

That's what my second paragraph was aiming at. They should be like "couldn't give a darn" either way. But the argument "it's free publicity for them" is just as elusive to me.

Reply #56
on: Mar 03, 2015, 12:35 AM

Hi, guys. I'm a new member here. I found an old site containing a small amount of Ryuji Kainoh's NFS3 cars, with working download links. Here: www.angelfire.com/ab5/lukespage/cars.html

Btw, does anyone have a file from this link?

http://cid-fe00b20b7e44f0f3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/P%C3%BAblico/rk-cars.rar

It's a rar file containing a large number of Ryuji Kainoh's NFS4 cars (many of them are hard to find). I think the link was posted by AJ_Lethal in this thread: www.nfsaddons.com/forums//index.php?topic=1065.msg27364#msg27364

Reply #57
on: Mar 03, 2015, 6:04 AM

• Personal Text
    Stupid blunt claws.
Btw, does anyone have a file from this link?

http://cid-fe00b20b7e44f0f3.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/P%C3%BAblico/rk-cars.rar

It's a rar file containing a large number of Ryuji Kainoh's NFS4 cars (many of them are hard to find). I think the link was posted by AJ_Lethal in this thread: www.nfsaddons.com/forums//index.php?topic=1065.msg27364#msg27364

here's an updated link: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=fe00b20b7e44f0f3!193&authkey=!ABMw4Og74kYPkl4&ithint=file%2crar

Reply #58
on: Mar 03, 2015, 7:11 AM

Wow, thanks a lot, AJ_Lethal!

Reply #59
on: Mar 04, 2015, 3:17 AM

Welcome to the forum Stifen_DY and thanks for sharing.

Luke's NFS3 page added.

Greetings

Support NFSAddons: