NFSAddons Forums

Mar 29, 2024, 6:13 AM

VW Bug 'Polizei' coming soon ..

This is a discussion for the topic VW Bug 'Polizei' coming soon .. on the board Editing Projects.

Author Topic: VW Bug 'Polizei' coming soon ..  (Read 7221 times)

14 Replies on VW Bug 'Polizei' coming soon ..
on: Dec 03, 2016, 11:38 PM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
Hi there folks, since soon I'm going to upload a Multitexture version of the 1968 VW Bug from an Econobrick original I'm currently reworking some details and creating an additional Texture ... 'Pelle Politibil', any folks from Scandinavia remember that perhaps? It was a Childrens' TV show for traffic and road safety education in the late 80s and beginning 90s I guess, 'Barnetimen for de minste' it was called says Wikipedia ;)

I wasn't very much common in 'Continental' Europe but I like the idea and the photos I have found of it, and it looks promising to do an additional texture from that, I didn't know that there also had been movies made from it in these days (2002) and even two animation films in 2012 and 2013 ..

Probably recorded from early TV show:

and with Åge Magnusse, the 'owner' of Pelle Politibil: (seems to be a replica with different rims)

from the 2002 movie preview(?)

and in front of a local Norwegian Police department (2016):

How do you like the idea?
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2016, 12:50 AM by FranknFurter »

Reply #1
on: Dec 04, 2016, 4:10 AM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
.. intermediate state screenshot of the 'Pelle' texture (No.tga) ;)

Reply #2
on: Dec 04, 2016, 5:06 AM

The open door as :OND is genius. Cool!

Reply #3
on: Dec 04, 2016, 5:18 AM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
Thanks Freak-DS, but it comes with certain disadvantages if you noticed that on the SM, the closed door has to be assigned to :OD part, this means that it is shown non-reflective ingame and as the driver disappears earlier than other parts in distance view the car isn't shown quite correct then :-\

Further the virtual width of the car becomes wider since the whole mesh size is calculated for its width, which means that even with closed door the shadow ingame is wider and you hit things sideways in a greater distance then the actual car is :(

But yeah, found out that trick once and it looks really cool when the driver has exited the car and leaves the door open .. ^-^
On the SM he even has pulled the handbrake ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2016, 9:46 AM by FranknFurter »

Reply #4
on: Dec 04, 2016, 9:27 AM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
'Pelle Politibil' å prøvekjøre på 'Norge' rute .. thanks Google translator ;)

Will now have to adopt the other textures (Germ, Fran and Uk) to the new Mapping scheme still...

And yes, I will not forget to do that small grey siren on the bonnet top :D

A question still: the European 'Pursuit Porsche' cop looks quite similar to the Norwegian dressing scheme .. I also exchanged cop.fce and cop.art to that, problem now is that this doesn't fit that old German dress code anymore, would you rather prefer the green dressed German cop I did (for all countries then, too) or is that 'European cop 2' (the Porsche 'Mustache' cop) also ok for Germany in your opinion?
Or what else would you suggest? :-\

Uh yes, speaking of suggestions btw, I will separate ('divorce') the Racer and the Pursuit car again, had it running as a 'combined' car through the years ... :(

To be honest, I'm a bit fed up with doing the same 'Americanized' b/w scheme again and again, what would you prefer as a new Car00.tga? .. several suggestions through prototype pictures:

1st pic (1517.jpg): historic Brazilian National Police, interesting colour scheme but wrong rooflight colour :(
2nd pic: historic (and also Brazilian) but b/w though .. ok, 'Sao Paolo' Police 'Civilian front' (must be some kind of a militia ..)
3rd pic: there are a.o. many fire brigades or emergency staffs that used the Beetle as a command vehicle through the years due to its reliability, here as an example: the Fire Chief's vehicle of the City of Rheinberg (NRW)
4th pic: historic command vehicle of the Western Berlin 'Task Force Police'

Any other suggestions?
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2016, 12:20 PM by FranknFurter »

Reply #5
on: Dec 05, 2016, 11:58 AM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
.. no suggestions so far .. ok .. :-\

Since the Volkswagen Bug 1300 Pursuit version is finished so far I tend to simlpy use the 'Pelle Politibil' texture as the default Car00.tga then, I have made a new Uk.tga in the way of a historic British 'Volkswagen Bug' in turquoise blue scheme .. (1st pic)

2nd pic: the new turquoise blue UK livery ingame (hue value: 133 .. average value of the real pic..)

3rd pic: (updated) authentic German 'Polizei' livery

4th pic: French livery, old National Police scheme .. (fictional)

last pic shows the default Car00.tga texture ('Pelle Politibil') in car menu ..  :)

Will now prepare the upload files, the plain Racer version will soon follow ..

.. cya folks ..
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2016, 2:54 PM by FranknFurter »

Reply #6
on: Dec 05, 2016, 12:47 PM

Any plans for CARP tweaks? Or you'll leave Econobrick's one as is?

Reply #7
on: Dec 05, 2016, 12:57 PM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
Hello Rider,

.. the car is Carp tweaked of course .. I hope not too realistic for some ;)

Would be nice if I had some more realistic flat engine sound files for it, but Econobrick's original sounds are really ok so far ..

Add.: Pursuit car is uploaded by now ..

The 1968 'Beetle' racer variant is now also uploaded btw ...
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2016, 2:01 AM by FranknFurter »

Reply #8
on: Dec 06, 2016, 9:16 AM

That´s actually a very nice car! Good work!
But you should do something with the pixelated chrome trim on the side pannels... I know that it is already that way on the original car but it ruins the smooth look of the textures... if it´s impossible to get rid of the pixel boarders then maybe it´s better to get rid of the alpha channel at that part. most of the "Polizeikäfer" did´t have any chrome trim anyway ;)

And although I know why the doors are not glossy anymore... and I respect this decision... I just don´t like it either... maybe it´s just because I like watching my cars spinning in the showroom too much but thats just my opinion ;)

Reply #9
on: Dec 06, 2016, 11:26 AM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
First of all thanks for your feedback Cooya!

Concerning the pixelated chrome trim I completely agree with you .. let me tell you something about the story of the 'Polizei' bug if you have the time, it is a very old project I did ages ago when I didn't even know how to properly edit *.tga files and doing other stuff the way I do things nowadays, but I was asked to upload the Beetle since it had been seen on a screenshot I had uploaded, so I reworked the car the best I could with my nowadays means and knowledge, refined the textures and mesh, added new wheels and stuff and, if you noticed that, I even made some black bumper molders since the original didn't have them.

The pics show some different prototype pictures of several Police agencies of German Federal States, sometimes with chrome trims, sometimes with partly and sometimes without all chrome trim or even the letterings on a completely different place on the car (mostly they didn't even have it), hard to decide and find a compromise ...

But that is certainly no excuse for the things you mentioned, surely not. I also did the car in times of pre-VEG patch when every single poly counted for secure function of the car ingame without crashing it, now with the reassurement of having the possibilty to run it with the VEG patch I felt a bit more free to add those costly wheels and other stuff, but there are certainly other things that could be altered (or added) still, undoubtedly.

Well, concerning that 'opened door' trick' .. it was a gimmick I discovered when contemplating about what particular parts of the car provide ingame .. like :OD (driver 'and seat' normally) disappears when a Police car stops and is ticketing you and :OND (simply the Steering wheel and an empty driver's chair) appears instead. It was a more or less a mind game to experience certain conclusions of that issue.

If .. in near future things like lacking reflections on certain parts like wheels, driver and other could be eliminated in the HS hardcode this wouldn't be an issue anymore for sure ::)

There are even more things that also annoy me like the lacking possibility to also choose different cop textures for the different countries (aside the default ones) and so on, Max (BrabusAMG) from Police H.Q. board claims the lacking country assignment choice for e.g. Canadian tracks since he is going to start a new Canadian series of cars I'm really looking forward to, but with the current state of NFS hardcoding they will all use American texture country assignment by using the default 'Car00.tga' .. for other than European tracks this is so far incorrect :(

I wish I had the knowledge to edit the NFS .exe file like Evgeny has it to probably alter that stuff to yield a fully customizable way to play NFS .. :-[

But .. and let's not forget that, we're complaining now on a very high level ;), before Evgeny's VEG patch appeared we were simply glad if a modified and/or highpoly car was able to run on a (let alone) costly replacement track at all .. this is by far not that long ago ???
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2016, 12:08 PM by FranknFurter »

Reply #10
on: Dec 06, 2016, 12:52 PM

I wonder if it may even be possible to create actual moving rotators indside lights and lightbars as well ,I have discussed this thought with NFS PoliceForce, I haven't tried it yet (keep forgetting to or getting side tracked by projects and one of my other jobs here: https://www.reddit.com/r/SuicideWatch )

The way I thought of doing this was making the rotators part of the wheels, :HLFW etc. I know they'd be turning VERY fast once the vehicle hit speed, But none the less if it worked Then there's something to further tinker with and perfect :D. My fear is that if I do get round to doing it they'll likely move alright but not the way I intend, Likely what might happen is they'd wildly flap about sideways  :o.

NFS HighStakes is the best

Reply #11
on: Dec 06, 2016, 12:58 PM

.. no suggestions so far .. ok .. :-\

Since the Volkswagen Bug 1300 Pursuit version is finished so far I tend to simlpy use the 'Pelle Politibil' texture as the default Car00.tga then, I have made a new Uk.tga in the way of a historic British 'Volkswagen Bug' in turquoise blue scheme .. (1st pic)

2nd pic: the new turquoise blue UK livery ingame (hue value: 133 .. average value of the real pic..)

3rd pic: (updated) authentic German 'Polizei' livery

4th pic: French livery, old National Police scheme .. (fictional)

last pic shows the default Car00.tga texture ('Pelle Politibil') in car menu ..  :)

Will now prepare the upload files, the plain Racer version will soon follow ..

.. cya folks ..

Would you also like to mod this base to create OLDER ones, (I.E. 1950's with the Auer EBL) since I have a roughly made Auer? Tried to send you the car but HotMail keeps refusing to attach it to messages. Also you got me on a idea to do something no NFS game or any other far as I know has, The polizei Beetle that started it all, The Hebmüller, Would have been 4 doors if it had doors but only has chains instead LOL.
NFS HighStakes is the best

Reply #12
on: Dec 06, 2016, 1:48 PM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
You mean something like that?

Dang .. you expect there something of me ... I'm happy to just have finished that 60's stuff but I will think about it lately ... :-\

I know about a thing or two about that AUER rooflight you were speaking of ... do you really think that would make sense on an NFS Police car since it was only a testing phase on some rare German Police cars? It was too expensive and prone but nevertheless much ahead of its time.. but, as a matter of fact, not very much common in Germany, it was more or less an 'exotic' thing... :-\
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2016, 1:54 PM by FranknFurter »

Reply #13
on: Dec 06, 2016, 1:59 PM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
.. but speaking of 'exotic' things .. I made a 'Military Police' Jeep on that Willys' Jeep base by .. forgot who ..

Is that exotic enough?

Reply #14
on: Dec 07, 2016, 4:59 AM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
 .. forgot to add that funny sounding '50s Bosch siren to the 'Polizei' Bug .. ::)

here is the .wav file to import into your SIREN.BNK, as always .. make a backup copy of it before ;)

Paul Spain was so kind to having sent me an authentic siren sound file from his huge collection, I reworked it a bit so a nice continuous old siren sound will be generated then ingame .. you must pull the 'loop boundaries levers' when importing and opening the .wav file (Sample5.wav) in NFSWizard (and activate 'show loop', of course!) to both ends of the visible window though ..

... don't forget to save 'Siren.bnk' then afterwards ... ;)

Have fun ..
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2016, 11:05 AM by FranknFurter »

Support NFSAddons: