NFSAddons Forums

Mar 28, 2024, 4:10 PM

Need For Speed 4 Modern Patch - Donations?

This is a discussion for the topic Need For Speed 4 Modern Patch - Donations? on the board General NFS.

Poll

Choose the maximum sum you would donate for Veg's "NFS4 Modern Patch" project.

5$
0 (0%)
10$
0 (0%)
20$
0 (0%)
30$
2 (22.2%)
40$
0 (0%)
50$
3 (33.3%)
60$
1 (11.1%)
70$
0 (0%)
80$
0 (0%)
90$
0 (0%)
100$
2 (22.2%)
150$
0 (0%)
200$
0 (0%)
even more
0 (0%)
I will not donate for this project.
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: Jun 20, 2016, 3:12 AM

Author Topic: Need For Speed 4 Modern Patch - Donations?  (Read 150871 times)

Reply #120
on: Oct 26, 2016, 2:50 PM
Rookie Member

everytime i try to use dx renderers i cant select any resolution. It says Bad Text Index. Game works finde but i get a black screen when the race starts but the huds visible.

New beta versions.

http://veg.by/files/nfs3/nfs3_modern_patch_beta.7z
http://veg.by/files/nfs4/nfs4_modern_patch_beta.7z

Reply #121
on: Oct 26, 2016, 2:53 PM
View Profile

VEG

therealdadbeard, please try to set Type=voodoo in the ./drivers/dx7/thrash.ini and ThrashDriver=dx7 in the nfs4.ini and report the result.

I'm planning to refactor thrash init code, also I'm planning to rewrite the code which gets resolutions list. Maybe it will help.

Reply #122
on: Oct 26, 2016, 3:06 PM
Rookie Member

This worked. now i can select up to 1280x960. There will be more propably at a later stage i suppose, like 1080p and so on. But the driver works good per se. :D

therealdadbeard, please try to set Type=voodoo in the ./drivers/dx7/thrash.ini and ThrashDriver=dx7 in the nfs4.ini and report the result.

I'm planning to refactor thrash init code, also I'm planning to rewrite the code which gets resolutions list. Maybe it will help.

Reply #123
on: Oct 26, 2016, 3:42 PM

• Personal Text
    I keep trying so far... Hmm 😶‍🌫️ ☮️ 😎
Hi there Veg bro. All I'm able to make out, is your New cool looking, "Green Arrrow, direction thing,did you change it color an shape?) Looks better budd ;)
An that brackish Texture, was always, there from the CD install, bad Transparency, thing on that Poly.. I always found, it an replaced ,it with a better texture, or pulled it out! Other than that, I can see any, more, that,u done
But,, Lmk nice Pic
Let's have a better day...?

Reply #124
on: Oct 26, 2016, 10:25 PM
View Profile

VEG

Hi there Veg bro. All I'm able to make out, is your New cool looking, "Green Arrrow, direction thing,did you change it color an shape?) Looks better budd ;)
No, I'm not changing graphics at all. It's a screenshot from the NFS3, it has such green direction icon by default.
Currently, I'm fixing bugs and preparing the game for global refactoring of the Thrash init code. This code has massive changes already in the NFS3, and I'm still improving it. After, I'm going to port them to NFS4. I hope that it will help with compatibility.
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2016, 10:28 PM by VEG »

Reply #125
on: Oct 27, 2016, 1:16 AM

Nice little improvements there Veg. The fonts look sharper now and the Dx render errors for small textures are fixed. With the setting Type=Voodoo Dx7 is now running with good performance and visuals.
At the same time you can use the benefits of DirectX, like higher compatibility with capture software, optional post-processing shaders or ripping tools without using cpu/gpu power for additional computation (like the voodoo emulators).
Out of curiousity: can you briefly explain what has caused this error with Dx renders? How you fixed it? Was it sloppiness of EA developers or did they actually had a reason to suppress DirectX like that (e.g. disabled menu effects etc.), compared to Voodoo Glide?

Reply #126
on: Oct 27, 2016, 1:59 PM
View Profile

VEG

Out of curiousity: can you briefly explain what has caused this error with Dx renders? How you fixed it?
Not all DX renderers has this problem. For example, d3da.dll from the NFS4 demo doesn't have this problem (it's a bit earlier version of the renderer). d3da.dll (DX5) from the NFS3 also doesn't have this problem. The problem occurs only when small textures are used (smaller than 4×4). Old D3D renderers report that minimum allowed texture size is 8×8. As the result, the game stretches smaller textures before uploading to GPU, and the problem doesn't occur. I don't know why the texture upload function fails with small textures smaller than 4×4 (I've tried to investigate it, but without any sensible result). So, I've added to the DX7 additional code which reports that it supports textures not smaller than 4×4 even when GPU driver reports that it supports some smaller values.

In short, I've done something like this:
Code: [Select]
if (dw_min_texture_width < 4) dw_min_texture_width = 4;
if (dw_min_texture_height < 4) dw_min_texture_height = 4;
Actually, I've rewritten much more code, but it is the main meaning of the change. And it works at least not worse than earlier D3D renderers where the problem doesn't occurs.

Was it sloppiness of EA developers or did they actually had a reason to suppress DirectX like that (e.g. disabled menu effects etc.)
I don't know why =) D3D API definitely is not worse than Glide API. IMHO, D3D is even better.
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2016, 9:58 PM by VEG »

Reply #127
on: Oct 27, 2016, 2:52 PM

• Personal Text
    I keep trying so far... Hmm 😶‍🌫️ ☮️ 😎
Thanks for Explaining all those Parts,in 3D.
 Veg yup, hope it gets better, for you to, on this.!.  :)  8)
Let's have a better day...?

Reply #128
on: Oct 30, 2016, 2:04 PM

• Personal Text
    Stupid blunt claws.
Shilled the patch in Driving Passion :D

(fixed link - Remko)
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2016, 5:03 PM by Remko »

Reply #129
on: Nov 01, 2016, 5:09 AM
View Profile

VEG

http://veg.by/files/nfs3/nfs3_modern_patch_beta.7z

I'm working on deep refactoring of the thrash init code of the NFS3. It takes more time than I thought, but it will fix some rare problems. Then, I'm planning to do the same for the NFS4. After, I'm planning to start to work on the widescreen support. Even if these things will take more than a month, it will be done, as promised.

Currently, refactoring of the NFS3 code already solved these small problems:
- Crash when trying to make a screenshot when experimental D3D windowed mode is used.
- Invisible cockpit when DX8 is used.
- More possible errors can be detected during thrash init, so if there are some problems, the game will show more meaningful error message.

If someone had the problem with cockpit rendering with DX8, please check it again and report if it works now. Also I'm looking for someone with GPU where more than 4GB RAM is available. Please check if DX7 and DX8 work nice on such GPUs. Please do it on the NFS3. When I'll start the same refactoring of the NFS4 thrash init code, testing of the NFS4 will be needed. But it will be later.
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2016, 5:51 AM by VEG »

Reply #130
on: Nov 01, 2016, 12:23 PM
View Profile

VEG

Cooya!, I'm sorry. I've overlooked your donation. This mistake is fixed and your donation is listed now.

I'd like to explain why I'm refactoring NFS3 first. There are many reasons:
1. NFS3 already has partly refactored thrash init code.
2. It is planned to add simple windowed mode support for D3D modes of the NFS3, and it requires significant changes in the thrash init code.
3. It will be faster to port all these changes to the NFS4 in one long run.
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2016, 1:16 PM by VEG »

Reply #131
on: Nov 01, 2016, 2:33 PM

Check your donations ;)
Was a bit late, but promised is promised.

Reply #132
on: Nov 04, 2016, 7:11 AM

• Personal Text
    Nfsfan83
Guys I just wondering, is this modern patch can fix disappearing textures and poor visibility on my city tracks??? And question two, can we use high polygon cars without crash??? :)

Reply #133
on: Nov 04, 2016, 7:39 AM

• Personal Text
    Stupid blunt claws.
Guys I just wondering, is this modern patch can fix disappearing textures and poor visibility on my city tracks??? And question two, can we use high polygon cars without crash??? :)
Your tracks don't have their visibility tables modified IIRC, that's why you have pop-in problems (yoy can export the tables in T3ed, then modify them with JimD's VSEdit before reimporting them)

And yes, the patch allows using high poly cars without crashing

Reply #134
on: Nov 04, 2016, 8:56 AM

Your tracks don't have their visibility tables modified IIRC, that's why you have pop-in problems (yoy can export the tables in T3ed, then modify them with JimD's VSEdit before reimporting them)
That's right, but it won't help on every part of the tracks. Very high objects should be converted in global ones. It helped me on my unfinished "Track 8".
Get T3ED, Stock & Expansion Pack from Magenta Cloud.

Support NFSAddons: