NFSAddons Forums

Mar 28, 2024, 7:16 AM

Remko's NFSGarage Nostalgia thread

This is a discussion for the topic Remko's NFSGarage Nostalgia thread on the board General NFS.

Author Topic: Remko's NFSGarage Nostalgia thread  (Read 24344 times)

23 Replies on Remko's NFSGarage Nostalgia thread
on: Jul 05, 2006, 4:54 PM
Administrator Hero Member

http://web.archive.org/web/20010428054124/http://nfsgarage.racerplanet.com/hs/

Any of you familiar with the Internet Archive Wayback Machine? :) Check out what the NFSGarage looked like back in 2001 (I know many of the images are deadlinks and not all the other pages work either, but that's just how the Wayback Machine works).

Don't forget to look athe list of Network & affliated sites for extra nostalgia. :(

Back then, NFS Garage was pretty much unique for being the only site where modders could upload their own add-ons. In those days, the NFS mod community consisted of either big sites where the webmasters offered the collection they put together on their own (such as NFS HQ, NFS Design, Omega Design etc), or the creators' own homepages, where they hosted their own made stuff. (often on Geocites, XOOM, Angelfire, etc. :lol: )

Other things I notice when browsing through those old pages: not only the looong lists of comments, but also the enormous download numbers.  :o I remember that the most popular cars were ranging in the tens of thousands...
Example: http://web.archive.org/web/20011005031235/nfsgarage.racerplanet.com/hs/index.php?topic=carinfo&id=441

Really shows you how big the NFS4 mod scene was back in those days... :/

Reply #1
on: Jul 05, 2006, 5:11 PM

http://web.archive.org/web/20020928044239/www.nfsg.net/

Heh, this is also good, the old design when the site relaunched at the NFSG.net domain back in 2002 (the newspost at the top of the page still remains an issue. :p)

Ever thought of maybe creating an album of all the designs the NFSgarage has had, Mike? ;)

Edit: this thread is not for me alone, but for everyone who has NfsGarage nostalgia to share, just thought I'd make that clear ;)

Edit 2: forgot the link. :rolleyes:

Reply #2
on: Jul 06, 2006, 7:47 AM

wow, this takes me back...

its amasing how active the community was back then, some of those cars are getting 100+ downloads daily!

take a look at nikkon's GT500 - 15762 downloads and hundreds of comments
those were the days...

Reply #3
on: Jul 06, 2006, 5:54 PM

Great post, Remko!

I've thought of having a page that shows designs of the previous versions. If only I had kept them :(

Those comment and download numbers are great. I won't stop until I get back to those numbers :) I think I've relied too much on users uploading content recently, and would like to get back into the old days, where I spent hours testing cars myself and uploading them to the site. I test all the cars that come through, but not as extensively as I'd like to.

Ahh, memories :)

Reply #4
on: Jul 08, 2006, 5:13 PM

Quote from: Mike
Great post, Remko!

I've thought of having a page that shows designs of the previous versions. If only I had kept them :(
Hmm... is it not possible to salvage those older designs from those Wayback Machine links? Or is there still too much vital information missing?

Also, I didn't necessarily mean a full-functioning page in the old setup, it could also be an image like a screengrab, kind of like NFSWorld.org has done: http://www.nfsworld.org/ (hm, I was under the impression that those images were clickabe, it would seem not) :/

Edit: here are 2 old, old screengrabs of mine (they're dated May 2000;)) that feature the Nfsgarage in one of the billboards, as well as several other sites from that era. :)

Reply #5
on: Jul 08, 2006, 6:11 PM

Is that High Stakes or Porsche Unleashed?
Saab: The stuff that dreams are made out of.

Reply #6
on: Jul 08, 2006, 6:25 PM

Lead me not to temptation....I can find it on my own

Reply #7
on: Jul 10, 2006, 2:31 PM

Correct. The track is a modded version of High Stakes' Kindiak Park where the asphalt had been replaced with mud/dirt. The car is one of IH8COPs realier cars, a '74 Porsche 911 Carrera RS. As you can see, IH8COPS had done his best to give the car realistic, tail-happy behaviour - despite NFS:HS' rather limited physics engine. :)

Reply #8
on: Jul 13, 2006, 8:04 AM

Justin Martin (aka IH8COPS)..... he made so many of my favourite NFS:HS cars

what happened to him?

Reply #9
on: Jul 13, 2006, 8:09 AM

Hight Stakes, that's what I thought, looking at the graphics. The car conjured up Porsche Unleashed though, for obvious resons.
Saab: The stuff that dreams are made out of.

Reply #10
on: Jul 13, 2006, 1:43 PM

Quote from: shaken
Justin Martin (aka IH8COPS)..... he made so many of my favourite NFS:HS cars

what happened to him?
Justin is still very much alive and present daily at the Racerplanet forums as a moderator, but he's moved on to Racer Free car simulator (you've probably heard of it :) ) since 2003. His site is nowadays: http://pitstop.totalnfs.net/ but there is still a link to all his NFS-related material (including several valuable Nfs editing guides) on the front page. ;)

Reply #11
on: Jul 13, 2006, 9:23 PM

thanks for the info remko, its great to see he's still involved in the community

yeah, i have heard of racer and played it for bit awhile back, but didnt really get into it.
its a great concept how everyting except the game engine is user created- you can make the game to be exactly what you want it to be

maybe i'll give it another try ;)

Reply #12
on: Jul 17, 2006, 5:05 PM

• BAD-ASS
Yeah, Mike - we can do this thing where we each uploaded 20 cars per update...remember that?

I'm down for that.
Jeff Seabrook
Owner:  www.bmwsport.net | www.corvettesport.net | www.deephousepodcastarchive.com

Reply #13
on: Jul 18, 2006, 12:35 PM

Yeah, that was great. I'm down for that

Reply #14
on: Jul 23, 2006, 7:53 AM

• Personal Text
    Ramms+ein fan
Different question:

Does anybody here know where this car

http://web.archive.org/web/20030717120233/www.nfsg.net/index.php?topic=carinfo&gv=hs&id=111

is available? I checked NFSG, NFSCars, ND4SPDWORLD, NFS Streetdogs and JP Racing but with no luck. It looks very interesting from the screenshot so if anybody has it and could make it online available I'd appreciate it very much.

Support NFSAddons: