NFSAddons Forums

Mar 28, 2024, 6:28 AM

How to install NFS HS with Modern Patches

This is a discussion for the topic How to install NFS HS with Modern Patches on the board General NFS.

Author Topic: How to install NFS HS with Modern Patches  (Read 19655 times)

Reply #15
on: Nov 21, 2017, 10:52 PM

• Personal Text
    Dark Paladin
Was it here that I spoke about the addon cars? No? Well, then I'll report my findings here as well.

The FEDATA files of the addon cars have some hidden data which makes them accessible only when installed into the SaveData folder. This was obviously done to preserve the integrity of the vanilla game. I do not know what this data is, because NFS Wizard can't read it, but I do know it's there.

I can't pinpoint which of the fields has it but, if you open a FEDATA file of an addon car in NFS Wizard, delete the ID and serial number content and write it again, NFS Wizard will overwrite the data with the values you input, so the problem should be fixed. This will also work for any addon car by third-parties which behaves similarly to the official ones, such as Thomas Egelkraut and jason g trusty's cars.

Addon cars also have specific AI behavior, which NFS Wizard cannot read, but it's there in the Pursuit field of the FEDATA file. NFS Wizard returns a blank field IIRC. Again, you can just switch it from the blank field to "No" and the cars will behave as normal.

I was in the middle of making a barebones expansion pack as a companion to the Modern Patch containing those fixes as well as others (missing colors in the Aston Martin, for instance), but it was necessary to make showcase slides as well as proper vidwalls and I got lazy since Photoshop is not my thing. :D I cannot provide audio either since I can't even open the files and I don't sound much like the announcer.

Reply #16
on: Nov 22, 2017, 6:54 AM

• Personal Text
    Retro racer excellence
The FEDATA files of the addon cars have some hidden data which makes them accessible only when installed into the SaveData folder. This was obviously done to preserve the integrity of the vanilla game. I do not know what this data is, because NFS Wizard can't read it, but I do know it's there.

I took the opportunity to check it with a HEX editor. I did find the address that controls this behaviour and managed to change it (0000037A). This address controls multiple functions in the fedata, which is: pursuit, bonus and the unknown data you talked about.

Here's the known values that I've found so far:
Value     Pursuit             Bonus     Available to AI
02NoNoYes
03NoYesNo
06NoNoNo
12YesNoYes
13YesYesYes
22No (Mercedes)NoYes
23No (Mercedes)YesNo
26No (Mercedes)NoNo
62No (Nissan)NoYes
63No (Nissan)YesNo
66No (Nissan)NoNo
A2No (Ferrari)NoYes
A3No (Ferrari)YesNo
A6No (Ferrari)NoNo

I tested on some downloaded cars such as: Nissan Pennzoil, HMRT Commodore and the Tombstone and I can confirm that it worked. None of these (Class AA) cars showed up on the Opponent garage (unless I selected one of them and then went back, like you can do with the official bonus cars).

Edit: If the value ends with a 6, the game will load the car from SaveData/Cars instead. Otherwise you'll get a Exception Access Violation error.
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2017, 11:34 AM by DrSpeed »

Reply #17
on: Nov 22, 2017, 7:08 AM

just i quick reply...

so we can say that first digit means that 0 is default car, 1 is pursuit, 2 is Mercedes, 6 is Nissan and A Ferrari
and second means that 2 is AI available but not bonus, 3 is AI available and bonus, 6 is neither of these

Reply #18
on: Nov 22, 2017, 7:27 AM

• Personal Text
    Retro racer excellence
It seems to be that way, yes.  :D

Reply #19
on: Nov 22, 2017, 10:46 AM

• Personal Text
    Dark Paladin
Thanks, DrSpeed! Nice find. :)

So there was an option to remove the Skyline from pursuits, interesting stuff.

Reply #20
on: Nov 22, 2017, 2:40 PM

[...]

I can't pinpoint which of the fields has it but, if you open a FEDATA file of an addon car in NFS Wizard, delete the ID and serial number content and write it again, NFS Wizard will overwrite the data with the values you input, so the problem should be fixed. This will also work for any addon car by third-parties which behaves similarly to the official ones, such as Thomas Egelkraut and jason g trusty's cars.

Addon cars also have specific AI behavior, which NFS Wizard cannot read, but it's there in the Pursuit field of the FEDATA file. NFS Wizard returns a blank field IIRC. Again, you can just switch it from the blank field to "No" and the cars will behave as normal.
[...]

I think the fedata has lot of hidden features that would be worth further investigation. By the way FranknFurter also mentioned a somewhat useful purpose for the "empty" pursuit field Zpectre described in NFS Wizard:
http://www.nfsaddons.com/forums//index.php?topic=1831.msg33858#msg33858

Thanks for looking into this one DrSpeed! The values you found explain a lot weird stuff of the EA addons...

Another thing saved in the fedata that might be of interest, is the position of the engine (front engine or rear engine). When driving with damage enabled this settings is making a huge difference. It determines if the engine is damaged at a frontal collision or at a rear-end collison and the position of smoke coming from a damaged engine.

Surely you can do all this stuff with NFS-Wizard somehow, by copying over another fedata and replace all entries. But it always needs a lot of time to copy over identity stuff, car names and maybe showcase data...
So knowing the these hex values makes things a lot easier and faster.
Would be neat to have a little tool for this or a cheat engine script  :)

edit: FranknFurters post was about an empty class field, not about an empty pursuit field. Sorry for this mistake.
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2017, 3:33 PM by MADMAN_nfs »

Reply #21
on: Nov 22, 2017, 7:03 PM

Wow great stuff you guys found! I need to try out NFS Wizard.  Can I use that tool to edit the Crown Vic and Caprice so the arms turn when turning the steering wheel?  It always bothers me that they rotate in their seat or their seat rotates with them.  I was trying cars in career mode and bought a Falcon XR8 and upped it to the max and it did the same thing where the driver rotates.

Reply #22
on: Nov 24, 2017, 8:58 AM

Well, i tinkered a bit with HxD...
So to sum up my conclusions:

Reset car class (like Knockout truck)
- car has no class (B, A, AA or AAA) ingame
- NFS-Wizard shows empty class field
- in pursuit mode opponent will be chosen by random classes

Set adresses 00000382, 00000383, 00000384 and 00000385  to values "FF"

Engine position
- set engine position at front (like La Nina) or at rear (like McLaren F1)
- influences smoke position of damaged engine and amount of damage taken by collision type (Frontal- or Rear-impact crash)

Set adress 000003BB to
 "00" - Engine position at front
 "01" - Engine position at rear (other values unequal to 00 work as well)

Reply #23
on: Nov 24, 2017, 1:49 PM

• Personal Text
    Dark Paladin
Well, i tinkered a bit with HxD...
So to sum up my conclusions:

Reset car class (like Knockout truck)
- car has no class (B, A, AA or AAA) ingame
- NFS-Wizard shows empty class field
- in pursuit mode opponent will be chosen by random classes

Set adresses 00000382, 00000383, 00000384 and 00000385  to values "FF"

Engine position
- set engine position at front (like La Nina) or at rear (like McLaren F1)
- influences smoke position of damaged engine and amount of damage taken by collision type (Frontal- or Rear-impact crash)

Set adress 000003BB to
 "00" - Engine position at front
 "01" - Engine position at rear (other values unequal to 00 work as well)

I'm surprised this is in the FEDATA and not in the CARP...

There's a lot of stuff in the CARP that doesn't seem to do anything... :(

Reply #24
on: Jun 22, 2018, 10:56 AM

Anyone got an idea how to get higher resolutions with the dx7 renderer in NFS4? I used dgvoodoos wrapper but then headlights in the nights are extremely flickering.

What hardware and which windows version are you using?

As far as i know, with the directX modes you are limited to the resolutions shown at the ingame-options.
The menu will always be 640x480 anyways (except with some glide wrappers).
Btw, you can configure the modern patch using Keiiko's Setup from here:
http://www.nfsaddons.com/forums//index.php?topic=1877.0

The flickering of the headlights is a common problem. The phenomenon is called z-fighting. The Z-Buffer normally should avoid that problem... but it can happen anyways with projected headlights, since the headlight texture is rendered very close to the road surface (so their distance is nearly 0).
If the issue appears despite activated Z-Buffer, you can only switch headlights to "Vertex" in graphic options, to fix it.

If you just want to run the stock game (without high-poly modifications), also consider using the Stock Pack from JimDiabolo.
http://www.tsabrowski.de/NFS-HS
Might be possible to set resolutions in the registry manually there... but not sure about that.

What works best on your machine, you gotta find out yourself.
From my experience, on a modern (Win7 and up), somewhat powerful system, you're better off using one of the glide wrappers - either nglide or dgvoodoo (or Zeckensack from the Stock Pack).

Reply #25
on: Mar 08, 2019, 4:43 PM
Rookie Member

Got another question about this

How do I install the EA addon cars if its portable? I have HS on my laptop twice one for mod and one for stock and I wanted the addon cars but the EXE's can't find the game.
The official EA addon cars are all EXE files.  I think it looks for the game through the registry but I could be wrong.
well, try this archive i did 2days ago... i also have one for nfs3 ;)
Just unzip it to the game folder

Code: [Select]
https://ulozto.net/!QjKvW4WVd/nfs3-all-official-addon-cars-7z
https://ulozto.net/!CPA5rTIEPL7P/nfs4-all-official-addon-cars-7z

i also did wrote instructions one year ago how to install nfs1 (emulated with dosbox), nfs2 (64bit installer and sdb+sound patch), nfs3 (veg modern patch) and nfs4 (SP/EP) but in czech... i updated it 2 days ago with nfs2 cross-platform wrapper and vegs modern patch for nfs4 and addons car archive... and planning to translate it ti english as one wanted to link it from some page...

We're  is the exe, files from. I don't install cars that way ever.
They are laying on the internets... i saw them in 4 languages

Hi, i m come from Hong Kong NFS fans

can you send me NFS 4 official-addon-cars or provide a new link, because the link is dead as below

Thanks a lot

Reply #26
on: Mar 09, 2019, 2:34 PM
Administrator Hero Member

Hi, i m come from Hong Kong NFS fans

can you send me NFS 4 official-addon-cars or provide a new link, because the link is dead as below

Thanks a lot

Hi huikwokfung, welcome to NFSAddons.

It seems the the archive is still on that website, just the URL seems to have changed. This one works:
https://ulozto.net/!MdQGPui6yGUv/nfs4-all-official-addon-cars-7z
(choose the 'slow download' option, otherwise you will have to register... and it's only 30 mb)

Reply #27
on: Mar 10, 2019, 10:45 AM

Yes, guys, i reuploaded the file and then edited the link here, the new one is what remko posted.

Reply #28
on: Mar 19, 2019, 5:22 PM

Guys I recently uninstalled the Win 7 Pro that came with my newer gaming PC (cause it did annoying things like blocking NERO and other vid editor tools I need to make DVDs or download vids and movies I like) Then I went to reinstall NFS HighStakes and get back to work making those cool cruisers again, Well it won't run now  ??? >:(

I'm trying Keiiko's Modern Patch Setup thing and it only seems to run on VooDoo but on that it shows no pic, Just a black screen with the game sounds when starting. I have tried other settings and just get crashes and stupid error messages.

NFS HighStakes is the best

Reply #29
on: Mar 20, 2019, 5:08 AM
Rookie Member

What Windows are you running now, Paul? I've had the same thing happen after switching to Windows 10.
The best you can do is try fat burners for men and get awesome results.

Support NFSAddons: