NFSAddons Forums

Mar 28, 2024, 5:15 AM

'75/76 Fury continued: Sheriff Rosco's car

This is a discussion for the topic '75/76 Fury continued: Sheriff Rosco's car on the board Editing Projects.

Author Topic: '75/76 Fury continued: Sheriff Rosco's car  (Read 17314 times)

Reply #30
on: May 13, 2017, 9:32 PM

You're right Paul, the doty hubcaps are the correct Chrysler basic type ones, this is a continuous mistake I made on the Fury from beginning, seems I mistook it with the 'dog dish' caps from Chevrolet -LOL

It's not that I wouldn't have them -like on the '80s Gran Fury/Diplomat I reworked- but those still have old 12-sided wheels/caps and when I made the better 16-sided wheels for the Fury I forgot to alter it to the 'doty' texture .. :-[

You described the 'bleed through' problem with his cars very well -caused by the layered polies- so this is one reason why I reworked the '76 Fury to 'real' 3D lights now with 'cut-outs' :P

When I'm finished with Little's car (Rosco's is as said finished as you can tell from the 'testcar' so should I perhaps upload it seperately from Sheriff Little's yet? My intention was to add it as a bonus 'sorry' car to Rosco's cruiser ???) I'm planning to do a matching traffic pursuit cruiser as Dark One suggested, the '77 'neutral' State cruiser so there will be a new '77 base soon .. :)

For the grille and taillights I can 'recycle' the Monaco textures and mapping (so much alike Chrysler did in those years, too =D), changes will only concern the mesh (hopefully) so it should be easy to update any '77 to it then later ..

.. notice the different lightbars again: with alley lights (above), 'Cali' style (rear driver side amber) w/o alley lights (below) :o

Good thing is, I will have to rework the front bumper to 3D marker/directional lights, too, if even to avoid the bleed through effect but looks better anyway, so it can again then be used ('recycled' ;)) for a '76 Coronet ^-^

Even found a usable pic showing the authentic '76 tailights for texturing, so it's 'all in' folks ...

http://bluesmobiles.proboards.com/thread/1300/sold-1976-coronet-chp-nevada .. the car is SOLD btw =D

Never understood why there had been the Monaco until '74, then the Coronet (which always had existed like the famous '65/66 and the early ones) and then later again the '77/78 Monaco .. :o

For some reasons I like the round older style headlights better than the square double lamps on the '77/78 model .. :)

Speaking of strange or rare lightbars ... my reworked '91 CV NYSP is just out on Police H.Q. which I had retrofitted with an authentic Whelen 8000, I think this was one of the first halogenic 'flashing-only' lightbars ever Paul? :D

P.S. I wrote a little tutorial concerning the 'alphaing' method in the H.Q. members' area ... ;)
I'm afraid the alpha channel method cannot be done just by the CarCad mapping function since the mapping points need to be moved even less than a pixel's width (about a tenth or less of it until the greyshade looks 'ok' in 3D window - check this parallelly there), when I'm moving the points I even zoom in the ZModeler's mapping window to almost maximum resolution .. :o
But even I have to check the result in-game mostly but as said if the 'test' greyshade window looks ok (= grey) it roughly works, the rest is 'fine-tuning' (the brighter the grey, the less transparent and vice-versa) by moving the points about a 'μ' again then ..

There's a nice test method for 'alphaing' you can do as an exercise perhaps:
Don't move the aligned mapping points as a whole but just a single end point (or rotate the mapping points line slightly over the b/w border), the resulting greyshade in 3D window will then show a grey tone gradient so the resulting transparency will also produce a gradient from least (opaque) to most transparency (means invisible = 'cut-out' ::))

This is how I ever found out about this method and gathered experience btw ... :)

Add.: If you send to me the files that don't seem to work I can have a look, correct them incase and send them back so you can compare of what was possibly wrong ...
I didn't have that, so it was a long way of gathering my own experiences when discovering the method :P

WiLL: It's not 'magic', just the simple fact that a singular mapping point set near the border of 'full' and 'cut-out' produces something inbetween, neither opaque nor invisible but 'half-transparent' or to speak in alpha colours: neither black nor white but grey ;)

You can watch this effect at the border of cut-out objects (in a smaller dimension), MADMAN had told about it as he described the 'frayed edges' of the side emblems on his Charger ..

... a matching parallel in physics would be Mr. Heisenberg's 'Unschärferelation', 'Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle' (HUP) :o

Speaking of physics .. the border between alpha = 0 and 255 could also be called an 'event horizon' like of a black hole (.. or a refrigerator door, you never know what's behind until you looked behind .. btw can you really tell if the light is actually 'off' when door is closed? xD) ... watched too many SF movies, I know ... well, time to be back in my padded cell and take my meds =D

A happy weekend @all ^-^

Frank you could use my 1976 Dodge Coronet base I posted on Police HQ in the STAFF bases section.
It has the correct taillights so you'd only need to make lit textures of them.
NFS HighStakes is the best

Reply #31
on: May 14, 2017, 6:08 AM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
Hehe, thanks for that hint Paul ... ;)

'wrong' car here from Belgium (actually a '77 Plymouth) but really large detail pic of the '75 Coronet taillights:

'77 Plymouth Fury with 'recycled' '75 Coronet taillights ... all you can use =D

Decided now to already upload the Sheriff Rosco '76 Fury since the Sheriff Little car will yet take a while .. not because of the car itself but the external cop, have to 'create' a new one with darker skin, a helmet and pilot's sunglasses :o
Just d/l the Rosco car and have fun yet even w/o MADMAN's Gen'l Lee already online ..^-^

Sheriff Little's car will follow asap as well as a matching '77 traffic State Police cruiser later on, keep an eye open folks .. ;)

Speaking of it, the 'Roseville PD' cruiser is much the same base (the '77 Monaco) but since it uses a TwinSonic the resulting mesh would have much less polycount because of the square surfaces of it (.. and because it wouldn't necessarily need a lightbar interior as for a traffic cruiser), that an alternative, too?

Good thing is also that hazzardnet.com provides nice large renditions of the decal (middle here)

and artwork of the car (aside many others, too) ...

I haven't used stuff from the site yet (Rosco's car which is now published uses a photo rendered decal) but if so I'd better ask for permission to use their stuff actually? ::)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 12:13 AM by FranknFurter »

Support NFSAddons: