NFSAddons Forums

Mar 28, 2024, 7:46 AM

The Honda Today issue

This is a discussion for the topic The Honda Today issue on the board General NFS.

Author Topic: The Honda Today issue  (Read 5698 times)

5 Replies on The Honda Today issue
on: Mar 02, 2017, 2:05 AM

Code 4

Hello everyone,

During the last months I have uploaded two cars here on the website.
The 1985 Honda Today and his Police version.

It turned out that the base I used for the car has copyright from the Original creator.
I downloaded it from a website which stated that de bases were free to use, but the copyright statement from the Original owner said otherwise.
I asked Remko to remove the download possibility of the two cars.

I'm going to try to contact the Original owner of the 3D model. But this is going to be a great challenge because the Original owner is Japanese and tot get some contact information I have to browse to a whole bunch of Japanese writing and try to translate it.

I will keep you all informed.

Gr. Code 4

Reply #1
on: Mar 02, 2017, 2:25 AM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
Hello Code 4,

.. that's as well a fair as it is a drastic measure in my opinion :o

don't you think that the website you d/l the base from also takes responsibility for their statement(s) or policies?

Seen from your position I would refer to that statement and give credits to the author or designer and I would perhaps also mention the source you got it from, and if there are still objections from 3rd parties to your uploaded work here there's still our admins to take further action incase, don't you think? :-[

Had a similar problem with my DodgeBoys' Mustang reworks I uploaded here and we (wouldn't tell here which website owner I'm speaking of ..) finally found a way to deal with that issue ^-^

If you are an honest designer (what I assume .. ;)) there's no doubt in your sincere intention not to steal anyone's work .. ???

That's just my opinion ... :)
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2017, 2:27 AM by FranknFurter »

Reply #2
on: Mar 02, 2017, 8:37 AM

• Personal Text
    Dark Paladin
Honestly, you should've gone ahead and released it with the proper credits... Today the "Fair Use" doctrine is developed enough to cover such cases.

You could post the author's words here for us to take a look, although copyright laws supersede any limitation imposed by the author where applicable.

The old draconian rules in the NFS community were imposed by certain people because:

1) The games were relevant in the modding scene.

2) People were taking others' cars and adding FnF-style parts, etc. to them indiscriminately, as well as releasing the cars for other games under their own name. Authors didn't like it and got those people banned. This no longer happens, as the FnF fad died out a long time ago and the bulk of modding today is stolen Forza content.

3) I've had this idea for a while that people modded NFS not really to add content to the game but rather to build a portfolio for when they eventually turned professionals. Which is why the vast majority of highpoly NFSHS cars are unusable in the vanilla game, and many famed modelers of the era only have one or two releases for NFS games despite having had several ongoing projects back in the day. If you're a hobbyist looking into starting a professional career as an artist, you're going to want to protect the stuff you built.

I sincerely believe that treating the work with respect and not turning it into an Audi TT Quasar-like monstrosity (the magna opus of the infamous Kremit De Frog) makes things ok here. If the author finds out and wants it removed, then have it removed.

Recently a similar thing happened in Assetto Corsa. the_meco and his team bought a Lamborghini Miura model from a website, intending to create a mod out of it. Eventually it became one of the game's official cars, with the blessing of the original artist.
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2017, 8:41 AM by Zpectre »

Reply #3
on: Mar 09, 2017, 8:55 PM

There's a old saying if you don't want something resued don't put it online, The problem with alot of models is sites are selling them and that is where issues can arise if they are indeed real vehicle company models, The vehicle companies can come after the site as well as the builder and demand royalities fro said model as they have all the rights to it. However most mod sites are free and all the downloads are free to use content provided you don't try to make money off the mod, This is in my opinion how all should be but there are some (and anyone who's looked far and wide for rare vehicles to use knows the sites I mean) that don't play fair and will let posters make money off any model despite who built it or if it's of real vehicles that exist or not.
NFS HighStakes is the best

Reply #4
on: Mar 09, 2017, 10:15 PM

• Personal Text
    Dark Paladin
I agree with Paul Spain.

The biggest reason why I started out with EA meshes was to avoid requesting permission, as I wasn't very known at the time so I felt like people would deny me upfront, haha.

However, I'm quite wary of releasing things without permission even when based on works from people who left the community almost 20 years ago. I've talked to fellow modders about this in the past and they seem to have the same mindset. There are quite a few authors who still care about their mods (one of whom I've been in contact with recently) and probably wouldn't like it if anyone released something based on their work without their permission. Technically, the legality is not clear, but requesting permission is an act of courtesy, I think.

I've once retextured Angel Lake and fixed many things on the track, but couldn't reach Sergi, so I ended up not releasing it and eventually deleted the track, but that's not a problem.

Reply #5
on: Mar 10, 2017, 2:41 AM

I agree with Paul Spain.

The biggest reason why I started out with EA meshes was to avoid requesting permission, as I wasn't very known at the time so I felt like people would deny me upfront, haha.

However, I'm quite wary of releasing things without permission even when based on works from people who left the community almost 20 years ago. I've talked to fellow modders about this in the past and they seem to have the same mindset. There are quite a few authors who still care about their mods (one of whom I've been in contact with recently) and probably wouldn't like it if anyone released something based on their work without their permission. Technically, the legality is not clear, but requesting permission is an act of courtesy, I think.

I've once retextured Angel Lake and fixed many things on the track, but couldn't reach Sergi, so I ended up not releasing it and eventually deleted the track, but that's not a problem.

I might also add the site I was mentioning also has game ripped models on their sale models :(, They did I notice make some of the NFS series ones free now but there is many others ripped from games that posters are still selling, I've always felt modding should be share and share alike, Not get something then sell for your own gain thus taking advantage of someone else's work or even a whole company's work if you just ripped it from a game.

I did what I could to put them out of business though, I have hoarded up all I bought from that site and I freely release them as they were meant to be vs people having to buy them, For me this was not cheap, For 2 models alone I spent $160.00, Add up I have about 50 models total now from that place. I routinely release them to NFS Police HQ, The Volga M21 is from this nameless site and it and it's station wagon M22 are the ones that was $80.00 a piece. Others were around $10.00-$30.00 Since I couldn't get into their files and just take the models and redistribute them freely I had to buy them but one day when I get all their stuff and it's then free that will end their game of selling models meant to be free. 
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2017, 2:46 AM by Paul Spain »
NFS HighStakes is the best

Support NFSAddons: