NFSAddons Forums

Mar 28, 2024, 5:19 AM

HS possible (and current) changes - 'wish list'

This is a discussion for the topic HS possible (and current) changes - 'wish list' on the board General NFS.

Author Topic: HS possible (and current) changes - 'wish list'  (Read 5184 times)

9 Replies on HS possible (and current) changes - 'wish list'
on: Nov 23, 2016, 8:04 PM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
I don't know if this has already been done but I started this thread for just gathering and updating SIMPLE information of the recent changes to HS (hardcoded by VEG as well as by DrSpeed's and Zalcus20' Ghost file editing) since I'm afraid I lost a bit overview of what is recently been done, cannot be done, possibly be done etc.

my personal wish list: (everyone should add his own requests/questions here ..)

-highpoly cars/high quality tracks made possible w/o game crash (DONE, by VEG patch ..)

-widescreen support (not my most urgent request, but with some: currently IN WORK by VEG (as I heard/read)

-(fully) customizable races/pursuiters and/or traffic options: ? ? ? (how far is this, what is possible NOW by which restrictions/what requirements or 'skills' needed?)

-reflections finally to be made possible on ALL parts of the car (wheels (rims!), OD, OH ...) a possible request and hot wish by car modders like me ;) the PS2 version had that feature ..

- ... more to come .. ??
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2016, 8:14 AM by FranknFurter »

Reply #1
on: Nov 23, 2016, 10:58 PM

Frank I'd just about say the poly limit is GONE, I updated the Illinois State Police Bicentennial 1976 Plymouth Gran Fury I posted at Police H.Q. a long time ago with your wheels from the Monacos you sent me and also TwinSonic since it's better than what I had, the car tops out at 8920 polys now and can be used a traffic at HomeTown :o.

This will definatly help with some older classics as well as my ColdWar mod vehicles as some were VERY high poly before I edited them.

I don't know what the patch can do track wise but I'd say it's killed the poly limit on vehicles. 
NFS HighStakes is the best

Reply #2
on: Nov 24, 2016, 5:28 AM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
Great pics Paul!!! .. and thanks, but you scaled the wheels a bit too wide? (just for my taste) and the Plymouth needs an ODL plate/lighting still (and a better lighting scheme for the tail lights as well) ...  =D :o

^-^ ^-^ ^-^

As I understood the VEG patch increases the internal game's memory buffer so I assume that also costly/high quality textured (HiRes) tracks as well as highpoly cars can now be loaded w/o the usual annoying GAME CRASH and 'Exit to Desktop' error ...

But there are some more possibilities/changes that could still be implemented as I heard/read ..

Wheels' reflections for example would be veeery nice like on the PS2 version :D

Btw I've just sent to you some updated files for the 'Polizei' Beetle, it has some minor changes, now it was also time to make some nicer, smoother wheels for it still? Well, I'll see what I can do ;)
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2016, 5:48 AM by FranknFurter »

Reply #3
on: Nov 24, 2016, 5:59 AM

Yeah  :afro: Thanks. and I will upgrade the ColdWar mod and other vehicles I have done with lights and lightbars that have insides now vs just shell bodies with nothing inside, Wheels on some will be your wheels and a question, Did you scratch make your TwinSonic and gumball lightbars? You've kicked my ass on that :P ofcourse I was using existing parts since I still can't model things from scratch, I can only change shape and size in CarCad on stuff.

On the lighting on the Plymouths, FCE Finish's silly 16 light limit, I didn't wanna have a situation where one area has alot of lights and then the other not, That tends to happen when I try to light every little thing..BUT there is a way, Seeing on your Monacos I know you know the trick to making lit lights on a TGA and just having them as :ODL so you don't even need to bother lighting them manually. Anyway now to redo the Matchbox version on those cars that was based off models I have in my collection :D.

Reply #4
on: Nov 24, 2016, 6:32 AM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
 .. that's what I meant fella =D But I usually make the :ODL lightings a little different than others do them, I detach the lights' faces/polies (if possible) and assign them to the :OC part before, so the copied :ODL light polies wouldn't disappear in game replays (as it occurs in a greater viewing distance), also it is not necessary to move them in that far distance from the lights since the :ODL doesn't disappear as said.

You know there's a certain hierarchy within the .fce meshes, first is :OC, then :OD thereafter follows :ODL, :OH .. so if the lights are still with the later :HB part the (outer) :ODL will be hidden, it simply disappears in the distance ... :)

The lightbars .. you say there something .. there are all more or less modifications of other lightbars, sometimes I created also new parts or an Interior from scratch but I cannot remember whose lightbars exactly which were anymore, perhaps mostly from Nils but also from Dodgeboy's bases or other, older cars but as said mostly extensively modified or reworked/retextured, scaled and so on.

Yes, that damn 16-dummies-limit on HS ... sometimes you have to consider very hard which one you use where and which you better preserve for other lightings .. but there's that supporting :ODL trick, yes.

But why do you still use Carcad? It lacks too many features, I couldn't work with just that ... :o
And it is not very precise on moving vertices, parts or remapping :-\
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2016, 6:41 AM by FranknFurter »

Reply #5
on: Nov 24, 2016, 8:38 AM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
 .. somehow silly to quote yourself :P ...

I don't know if this has already been done but I started this thread for just gathering and updating SIMPLE information of the recent changes to HS (hardcoded by VEG as well as by DrSpeed's and Zalcus20' Ghost file editing) since I'm afraid I lost a bit overview of what is recently been done, cannot be done, possibly be done etc.

my personal wish list: (everyone should add his own requests/questions here ..)

-highpoly cars/high quality tracks made possible w/o game crash (DONE, by VEG patch ..)

-widescreen support (not my most urgent request, but with some: currently IN WORK by VEG (as I heard/read)

-(fully) customizable races/pursuiters and/or traffic options: ? ? ? (how far is this, what is possible NOW by which restrictions/what requirements or 'skills' needed?)

-reflections finally to be made possible on ALL parts of the car (wheels (rims!), OD, OH ...) a possible request and hot wish by car modders like me ;) the PS2 version had that feature ..

- ... more to come .. ??

another one: (if possible)

-altering/editing the tracks' country assignments .. for example: you know that certain country assignments are simply unused in other parts of the world, like 'Australian' textures (Aus.tga) are unused in other than the Southeast Pacific area as far as I know.

So if it were possible to change a track's country assignment in general you could have more choices of a car's textures and more options with how it is used where.

For example: If you could change the 'Celtic Ruins' ('Hills' folder) country assignment from 'British' to something else like for example 'Australian' you could use another than 'UK.tga' for a corresponding Police car, such as Norwegian textures (like I created them (additionally) for the VW T4, Nils' Pursuit Cherokee or his Dodge Durango Pursuit)

It would then make somewhat more sense to use such replacement tracks like Kleinhellerchen's great 'Norwegen' track on 'Hills' (which it had been created for) with suitable textures on Pursuit cars WITHOUT changing textures within NFSWizard each time you want to drive on this track.

Another example: I want to create a Dutch 'patatbus' texture for the T4 still as for a request by Remko - yessss ;) if it were possible to alter a track's assignment I would simply name that additional texture 'AUS.tga' so it could be run on whatever a track you like (for example: 'Atlantic' = US -> switched to 'Australia' assignment) then the 'Dutch' texture would be used there.
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2016, 8:52 AM by FranknFurter »

Reply #6
on: Nov 24, 2016, 1:26 PM

Quote:Another example: I want to create a Dutch 'patatbus' texture for the T4 still as for a request by Remko:

Do you mean the OLD dark blue with white star RijksPolitie or the old orange and white RijksPolitie.

Reply #7
on: Nov 24, 2016, 3:44 PM

Hey FranknFurter,
good idea to making an extra thread i think. Some interesting ideas there too.

Some requests you made are very specific and very special, though. On the other hand i assume they need pretty deep investigation.
Maybe think of something more general. Think of something that will improve the unmodded default game.

Anyways, here is my "wish list":

- more traffic on the road
   -> with the ghost files we can already have 16 cars and its great; why dont make it like that by default?

- remove AI restrictions
   -> enable U-turns for AI cops in tunnels, remove the (very) slow driving routine of opponents at night...

- Improve physics; i know i know right, it wont be like on the PSX but...
   -> at least make e.g. the handbrake behave... well ... like a handbrake
   -> also, with weather turned on cars behave much better and slide in corners ...
        maybe its possible to work something out from there for "sunny day" races

- removal of the red "pursuit recticle", that shows onto locked suspects (at least optionally)
   -> for screenshots etc.

- New Netcode for Internet/LAN
   -> Sync Traffic/Police, increase tick-rate for better collision detection (huge task for sure)

Well, these are my "dreams" and Santa is coming soon... so who knows  :D

PS: Using different police liveries on the same track slot can also be realised using the NFS Mixer. Create two seperate folders of the same car and use different TGA's. Then you could simply load a Car/Carlist with Norwegian police for example, when the respective track is installed.
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2016, 3:48 PM by MADMAN_nfs »

Reply #8
on: Nov 24, 2016, 5:12 PM

• Personal Text
    I keep trying so far... Hmm 😶‍🌫️ ☮️ 😎
Hi @ PaulSpain, I liked your cop cars there Sweet action there:)
Really nice an Hopeful, changes in your Talks,from your' wish list" Madman)  much of all you guys, talked about. I've never did them edits. So but don't you get a" Speed error'' if you try putting a bigger blocks,track,on a different track, that's not the same Block count value,u know? how do you make it work? I don't use NfsMixer, tho.. but caused me more problems,,, to fix :(

@ Franknfurter, I'm not in the game, now days..( but would like to be. About track textures, I don't just ever use, NfsWizard,to change textures. I've always used, FSH.Tool, an manually, change the Index file, list #'s, to Re-order the Tr0.Qfs' file,that way it looks better,an error free more. Just saying,that's how I did,do,my tracks,incase you didn't know, Phew)
Edit: I see you was talking,more about Car00.Tga's, to redo not, Track textures. 
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2016, 7:06 PM by _WiLL_ »
Let's have a better day...?

Reply #9
on: Nov 24, 2016, 9:41 PM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
@MADMAN:
- more traffic on the road
   -> with the ghost files we can already have 16 cars and its great; why dont make it like that by default?

- remove AI restrictions
   -> enable U-turns for AI cops in tunnels, remove the (very) slow driving routine of opponents at night...

- Improve physics; i know i know right, it wont be like on the PSX but...
   -> at least make e.g. the handbrake behave... well ... like a handbrake
   -> also, with weather turned on cars behave much better and slide in corners ...

- removal of the red "pursuit recticle", that shows onto locked suspects (at least optionally)
   -> for screenshots etc.

- New Netcode for Internet/LAN
   -> Sync Traffic/Police, increase tick-rate for better collision detection (huge task for sure)

Some of these are also my wishes, at least the increased traffic :D
In for example HP2 you could edit some .ini files for traffic and AI behaviour (moderate or more aggressive .. they would then honk all the time and drove faster ..)

... also, with weather turned on cars behave much better and slide in corners ...

.. and wouldn't it then be possible to also have 'permanent' lit cars like with weather 'on' or on Night tracks? (and as well the completely unlit (so incorrect) helicopter in day pursuit races)

As for most countries permanent lights are prescribed anyway I think?

I am currently using a trick as I simply drive with weather on but I exchange TrW.ini with a copied Tr.ini so the cars are permanently lit (but without rain or snow). In order to that I have to exchange textures in as well Tr0.qfs and Sky.qfs otherwise you get a weird cloud image or an improper 'foggy' background on some tracks. As a further result you loose of course the choice to really drive with weather unless you change back TrW.ini manually.

Using different police liveries on the same track slot can also be realised using the NFS Mixer. Create two seperate folders of the same car and use different TGA's. Then you could simply load a Car/Carlist with Norwegian police for example, when the respective track is installed.

Well, I don't have too good experiences with that NFS Mixer since it messed up my whole game structure once, maybe I'm just too stupid to install and use it properly ..
But isn't that the same result when I simply exchange the TGAs' names in NFSWizard? That would mean that those different textures would as well be used on other tracks with the same country assignment - which wouldn't mean any greater advantage to me ...?
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2016, 10:00 PM by FranknFurter »

Support NFSAddons: