NFSAddons Forums

Mar 28, 2024, 4:53 AM

Using ghost files to customize a race [NFS4]

This is a discussion for the topic Using ghost files to customize a race [NFS4] on the board General NFS.

Author Topic: Using ghost files to customize a race [NFS4]  (Read 87073 times)

Reply #90
on: Nov 22, 2016, 10:46 PM

Maybe you guys talking about "Real Track"? I think that had an option to mix traffic on different tracks (see screenshot).

Does mixing traffic make U.K. traffic for example drive like U.S.,French,or German traffic if you mix it with those? I have tried this tool before but saw no diffrence, It did however screw up a setting and I wound up having invisible traffic police cars when I used it, Only the player cop car and the Diablo was visible (tried it on U.K. and mixed with German traffic)
NFS HighStakes is the best

Reply #91
on: Nov 23, 2016, 6:46 AM

Reply #92
on: Nov 23, 2016, 9:07 AM

Does mixing traffic make U.K. traffic for example drive like U.S.,French,or German traffic if you mix it with those? I have tried this tool before but saw no diffrence, It did however screw up a setting and I wound up having invisible traffic police cars when I used it, Only the player cop car and the Diablo was visible (tried it on U.K. and mixed with German traffic)

Well, i guess its always risky to use this kind of tools that move files around in your NFS folder. Even JimD's Mixer sometimes just gives "Runtime error -5 bla bla" and refuses to recognise the custom tracklist for example, making a complete recovery via backup-files neccessary.
I think Real Track was made with Knockout Races in mind - so you not drive on the same track over and over.
The "Mix traffic" feature just randomly moves the car.viv's in the "\Data\Cars\Traffic" folder. So yes, UK traffic can be seen in Germany for example, but it may also be possible there is a snoplow crossing your way. Its random, and you cannot influence it (and it will not be reset when using the ReSet button, so you have to copy your backup, resp. the original traffic folder from cd, afterwards). Police cars with serial numbers are not effected.

Can't remember a tool that only displayed a traffic list, that you can customize. Have to admit that would be an interesting idea tho.
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2016, 9:10 AM by MADMAN_nfs »

Reply #93
on: Nov 23, 2016, 11:07 AM

• Personal Text
    Retro racer excellence
So basically, the program only moves files instead of changing any particular value?
I do think Real Track is the program I was looking for. Thank you for helping me remember.  :D

@Zalcus
I have the full list of the AI Driver ID, want me to send them to you?
I also found the High Stakes gamemode (at: 000000FF0) = 4. This will make the upgrades visible, but the game will crash when you're done with the race.
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2016, 12:49 PM by DrSpeed »

Reply #94
on: Nov 23, 2016, 1:01 PM

@DrSpeed: That would be great. Thank you. :)

Wish I could help out more with figuring out that traffic editor program but I had no idea there was a program called RealTrack.  :P

Reply #95
on: Nov 23, 2016, 1:32 PM

Well, i guess its always risky to use this kind of tools that move files around in your NFS folder. Even JimD's Mixer sometimes just gives "Runtime error -5 bla bla" and refuses to recognise the custom tracklist for example, making a complete recovery via backup-files neccessary.
I think Real Track was made with Knockout Races in mind - so you not drive on the same track over and over.
The "Mix traffic" feature just randomly moves the car.viv's in the "\Data\Cars\Traffic" folder. So yes, UK traffic can be seen in Germany for example, but it may also be possible there is a snoplow crossing your way. Its random, and you cannot influence it (and it will not be reset when using the ReSet button, so you have to copy your backup, resp. the original traffic folder from cd, afterwards). Police cars with serial numbers are not effected.

Can't remember a tool that only displayed a traffic list, that you can customize. Have to admit that would be an interesting idea tho.
[/quote]

I was going to use it in hopes of FINALLY making the traffic drive on the right side of the road on our modded USSR track (since it only works in the U.K. folder) for the ColdWar mod, but that plan FAILED, Only messed things up, So I'll keep waiting for a better tweak tool before I try to fix the issue again.
NFS HighStakes is the best

Reply #96
on: Nov 26, 2016, 7:26 PM

I was fiddling around with the gst files again and discovered these three switches that display the helicopter in-game (HP MODE, of course):

0000115C   0=OFF 1=ON  This tells the game to load the Helicopter (.VIV) file as well as the Helicopter banter speech (radio chatter).

0000114C 0=OFF 1=ON I think this tells the game to load the Helicopter's .bnk sound files (the sound of the spinning rotors).

000010AE 0=OFF 1=ON This tells the game to load the helicopter land lights bitmaps (the light that the heli shines on your car at night) as well as the speech files that say, "Rotor 1 to county, subject is lit, subject is lit"; "I got him take him down" etc.
EDIT: And yes this is the same address that controls the countdown (321GO!) timer (thanks for the hint, DrSpeed).  8)

If these switches are set to OFF in a Hot Pursuit race, the game will still load but the helicopter will not be flying around and dispatch will not ask for helicopter support or even ask the location or situation of the ground units (i.e. "Unit XX, what is your location?"; "what is your current situation?" ; "OK continue pursuit").  Basically, it will be like playing Hot Pursuit mode in good old NFS3 when the only heli was the one on the Empire City track.  :P

Looks like there is yet another version of GST Editor to be released.  =D
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2016, 1:42 PM by Zalcus20 »

Reply #97
on: Nov 27, 2016, 7:47 AM

• Personal Text
    Retro racer excellence
Now we really can recreate a NFS3 stye Hot Pursuit, nice findings.  :D
Btw, wasn't 000010AE also the countdown timer?

Reply #98
on: Nov 27, 2016, 12:07 PM

@DrSpeed: Oh yeah. That's right. Forgot to mention that 000010AE controls the countdown timer, too. Oops.  :o By the way I got your PM and am looking into the info now.  ;)

Reply #99
on: Nov 29, 2016, 10:14 AM

• Personal Text
    Retro racer excellence
There seems to be a limit on how many traffic cars can spawn during a two player race. If you have more than 8 it'll ignore the rest. So if you set 14 traffic cars in a two player race, the game will randomly pick 8 of them. I don't know if the game actually loads them or if there's some sort of a weird limit.
Thanks to: MADMAN_nfs for finding this!

Reply #100
on: Feb 04, 2017, 11:20 PM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
Folks I made another experience concerning NFS' opponents choosing and, again, of how NFS actually 'ticks', maybe of some importance or interest here ...

You know I told about how I make progress on the 'Bandit and Snowman' race setup using both the T/A and Snowman truck on same serial number 30, works fine now with always being Snowman as the single sole opponent everytime you start 'classic pursuit'

As I assumed NFS chooses random opponents in-game by car ID not name or number it seems ..

So what happened here is the following: I altered back the T/A to class 'A' again so normally should be in class 'A' roster for to be chosen then as a class 'A' opponent as well ... so far so good

I prior forgot to 'disable' the Snowman (which still is class 'AAA' (!)) by renaming it so still uses same serial number 30 .. ok

I started a normal single race with a class 'A' vehicle and who was among the opponents? the 'Snowman' ???
.. although the Snowman is class 'AAA' it had been chosen for a class 'A' opponent so I made the following conclusion of how NFS chooses opponents by this assumed pattern or procedure:

NFS looks up car folder of which car serial number uses what class and 'memorizes' that .. this what we also see in car menu ..

NFS then chooses opponents by that serial number 'pool' regardless of what car class whatever just chooses the first car to find using that specific serial number then by first car ID assigned to that serial number.

Serial number opponents choice was '30' of class 'A' car pool since this had then been memorized before (meaning the T/A)

Choosing opponents then .. looking up cars among 'memorized' serial numbers -> first car ID for 30 then is 'Snow' before '77TA' (in ASCII table) regardless of what car 'behind' it actually is(!) .. in this case a completely different car from the T/A also different class 'AAA' car so actually wrong for a class 'A' grid :o

.. this is as well strange as it is funny and very interesting for further experiments on that isn't it? =D

For example, what happens if the chosen 'wrong' car behind is marked as 'Pursuit' car?
Will it be used as a normal racer opponent in a race or as a Pursuiting car what would be very strange btw since is single race ..? ???
Will it at all work since in single race all Pursuit cars are 'faded out' ... Well ^-^

Didn't you alter the ghost file already to have more and more different Pursuit cars in-game? Maybe that's based on same issue by this internal car choosing method of NFS in a way?

Maybe that observation again helps on further Ghostfile editing ... :)
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2017, 12:44 AM by FranknFurter »

Reply #101
on: Feb 05, 2017, 1:47 AM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
tested out that now .. a 'Pursuit' marked car will not be used for Pursuiting in a race .. well that's what was being most probable to assume but just to reassure... ^-^

Secondly .. I choose for same serial number 32 (hometown auxiliary copcar) two cars with similar or nearby letters in car name.

1) the Michigan Mustang                (car ID: 'MSPM' - car name in menu: '92 Ford ..) - I also altered name to '1992' for testing issues
2) the 'Norwegian Police' Durango   (car ID: 'NODD' - car name in menu: Norwegian Police ...)

Result is (I chose the MSPM in car menu for pursuit game) that in both cases the car chosen by NFS for 'auxiliary vehicle' was the Norwegian Durango (car ID and name beginning with 'N') :o

Means that NFS either doesn't choose cars by car ID (so I assumed that wrong) than rather by full car name (since 'M' is before 'N' concerning their car IDs) OR it chooses by ID (or name) but in vice-versa order from numbers (1992) and special characters (that apostrophy in '92) .. then down to regular letters (Norw ...) ... :-\

I must say I'm a bit confused since in the 'Bandit race' (see above post) NFS vice-versa chooses 'Snow' (car ID) or 'Kenworth ... ' (so both letters here) as opponent BEFORE the Pontiac ('77TA' is car ID) resp. '1977 Pontiac ...' (both numbers) ... ???

Does anyone have an explanation for that? I don't ... :(
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2017, 2:32 AM by FranknFurter »

Reply #102
on: Feb 05, 2017, 2:48 AM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
another test ... with very interesting outcome folks !!

I chose again the Michigan Mustang ('92 Ford.. on car ID) ... second car was the 1977 Plymouth Fury 'combined one' (car ID: 'Fury')

First result: Fury as racer as it is (Pursuit = no) but also #32 like the Michigan, the Michigan had then been chosen by NFS as the auxiliary car. Normally the Fury would be auxiliary car if there wasn't the double serial number 32 ..

Second result: Fury is marked as Pursuit car (Pursuit = yes) still #32 both cars with all names IDs unchanged(!), as a result NFS chose the Fury this time as the auxiliary car .. that a possible explanation for the two different outcomes in choosing order on either a Race or Pursuit game if a car is stated 'yes' or 'no' in 'Pursuit' FeData entry? ... very strange that is I must say :o

Would be very interesting if other folks might get similar results or not on same or alike tests ... :P
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2017, 3:33 AM by FranknFurter »

Reply #103
on: Feb 05, 2017, 6:10 AM

You should avoid giving 2 cars the same serial numbers. Its very hard to predict the outcome when doing this. Not sure if there is a "system" behind that nor if it is worth investigating that. Might as well be completely random.
From my experience i can tell, that if you have two cars with same serial, the cop car is preferred.
So in pursuit or single race the opponent will be a police car. But the game still think its a opponent and the AI will try to complete the regular race rounds. If you provoke such a "police-racer" to honk the horn, the game will crash.

Not recommended.

Reply #104
on: Feb 05, 2017, 8:42 AM

• Personal Text
    Die-hard classic NFS Fan
Well aware of that thx Madman bro ... was just a coincidence and that forced me to do further investigation .. I hear you ..

Sometimes it happens to be that your safe world becomes shattered by simple accident ... it's up to oneself to further examine if all that is by chance or if it follows a certain scheme ... nevermind ^-^

It helps sometimes to act like an examining child seeing and describing things for the first time wondering what may causing this what is happening ;)

Cheers and may all being safe @all
Frank

P.S.: @Zalcus and DrSpeed: how is progress on Ghost file editing and did my observations have any impact resp. do you have any explanation by hexediting codes maybe for what I experienced here? :)
You guys are the diligent most silent workers here so just wondering how things are moving ahead ^-^
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2017, 12:40 PM by FranknFurter »

Support NFSAddons: